5 Artists of our Teenage Years That Still Have It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Throwback songs are always the best, especially ones by the Jonas Brothers,  Avril Lavigne and Miley Cyrus, just to name a few. We all have those guilty pleasure songs that we request, even if we get stares of confusion. As a generation, we shouldn’t settle for these as merely throwbacks. Most of the singers and bands that give us a strong sense of nostalgia are still extremely talented, and this should be acknowledged. Check out these five artists of the past that still have it going on.

1. The Jonas Brothers

I can’t be the only one that had a mini heart attack when I heard alleged rumors of the Jonas Brothers getting back together. Nick, Kevin and Joe are the OG heartthrobs of our generation, and there’s no questioning it. Ever since 2006 when they released Year 3000 on the Disney Channel, these three brothers were all that was talked about.

Clearly, they’ve moved on: Kevin is married with three kids, and Joe’s recently engaged. However, they don’t need to be forgotten. If we’re being honest, their old songs are probably more relatable to us now. As 11-year-olds, did we really have any idea about love and heartbreaks? No, not really.

With their individual success; Nick going solo and Joe with DNCE; it’s clear that they still have talent. Luckily, they’re one of the groups that didn’t end up as washed-up celebrities, even if they’re no longer a band. I’ve been a huge advocate for the band every since the fifth grade, and that’s not just because I bawled my eyes out when I met them at age 11. Do yourself a favor and give the Jo-Bros another listen. You may hear some raw talent that you’ve forgotten about.

2. One Direction

One Direction fans are dedicated. There are people out there who have been following them ever since their individual The X Factor UK auditions. Although this is true, their harmony as a band slowly deteriorated before our eyes until there was nothing left. I may be dramatizing the situation a bit, but it’s true. One Direction had a recent ending but something makes this band unique: almost every member of the boy band has ended up with a successful solo career.

All of the boys have dove into the music scene recently, so it isn’t a surprise their talents have gotten them almost as far as One Direction did.

If you were never a One Direction fan, you can look into the boys’ solo albums. Even though “Directioners” no longer have a band to obsess over, they can all still hear the true talents that Harry, Zayn, Niall, Liam and Louis all have.

3. Avril Lavigne

Avril Lavigne was the face of teenage punk rock. We all praised her for being different and not acting so much like a pop queen, but as more of a rock queen. It doesn’t seem that she made much of a name for herself after her prime years. That was until a conspiracy theory about her was released stating that she was actually dead and had a perfect look alike. Let’s just say that’s a whole different story to deal with.

“Girlfriend” and “Complicated” were always my go-to jams as a frustrated middle-school student. I almost forgot about these legendary masterpieces until I recently heard one play to a large crowd, and everyone went crazy. There’s no doubt that her old songs are full of emotion and purely good music.

Although Avril Lavigne has faded from the music scene, we can still praise her from afar. She’s not one to forget as we grow older.

4. Demi Lovato

From Camp Rock, to worldwide tours with the Jonas Brothers, Demi Lovato has done it all. She transformed herself from a discovered Disney Channel star to a respected artist. Even as a teenager, she has always had a powerful voice.

To some, Demi Lovato had a bit of a fall out. It seemed that she started to let herself go and had some inside issues that her fans weren’t aware of. This recently all came to light in her new YouTube documentary, Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated, which was truly inspiring.

Demi Lovato has only come back better. With a new album and tour, she is coming right back to her loyal fans who have been there for her the whole time. She is one the few generational artists that have a powerful story to follow them, which only makes her even more relevant.

Demi may seem like an artist of the past, but she isn’t staying there. Even if you aren’t looking to get back into listening to her, she will most likely come up right in front of you. She is making a comeback, which makes it much easier for us to praise her work.

5. Miley Cyrus

We’re all well aware of Miley Cyrus’ many transformations throughout the years. She is no longer little Miley Stewart and definitely no longer Hannah Montana. She has made a series of changes to her style, her look and her music. Even though we all occasionally listen back to her days as Hannah Montana, that’s no longer the main talk of Miley.

With the release of “We Can’t Stop” came a whole new fan base. It was no longer teens and tweens excitedly watching Hannah Montana on TV, which is probably how it should be with some of the things she has put out there. Although she has given us a brand new perspective of music, she is also giving us her immense talent.

Miley Cyrus may need to be taken in small doses, but lately she has been expressing herself in a more subtle manner. This is perfect time to listen to “Party in the USA” and witness her bold development as an artist, as well as a person.

Even if these five artists seem to be past their golden ages, they all deserve another chance. So next time you’re looking for music on Spotify, don’t be afraid to check out some legends of the past who are making comebacks.