Life > Experiences

The 4 Types of Friends You Need in Your Girl Gang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Every great sports team, music group and business’ success directly relies on the people involved in them.

Believe me, I’m no “sports girl,” but I do know that any team is as good as the players they have occupying their positions.

In the same way, your success and happiness are heavily influenced by the people you surround yourself with.

There are four positions that need to be occupied in your inner circle: the encourager, the accountability partner, the confidant and the constant.

The encourager

Your encourager is your personal hype-man; it’s that one friend who will support you 100% of the time, no questions asked.

Your encourager is likely to be the friend who comments on all of your Instagram pictures, wishes you good luck before every big exam and is always ready to let you know how good that new outfit makes you look when you’re questioning your fashion choices.

Trying to operate your life and thrive without an encourager is like trying to drive a car with no gas.

The encourager is the fire underneath every new project and passion, and they’re the fuel pushing you to be your best self.

Having an encourager in your inner circle keeps you feeling supported, loved, cheered on and ready to take on the world.

The accountability partner

Your accountability partner is that friend who always knows how to keep it real.

The accountability partner is never afraid to call things like it is, speak some truth and keep you in check.

Tough love is real, and for the accountability partner, it’s what they do best.

We all have our self-destructive tendencies; whether it be skipping the gym a little too frequently, texting that one person you know you shouldn’t or procrastinating one too many times, your accountability partner is going to be the one to help keep you on track and focused on your goals.

We all need someone to look out for us, and occasionally even save us from ourselves.

The accountability partner is always going to be the observant friend who you can count on, and you know they’ll be watching your back. 

The constant

When you think of a constant in your life, think about the person that has been there through it all.

While typically your oldest friend, your constant is the person who has truly seen every side of you and in every stage.

You might not always talk as often as you’d like to, but no matter how long, any conversation you have with your constant picks right up where it left off, as if no time had passed at all.

You can always count on your constant to remind you of the good ol’ times and the not-so-great memories.

When it comes to your goals and success, the constant will be the person to keep you humble, reminding you of where you’ve been, how it’s led you to where you are and  how to use it going forward, and they’ll remain with you every step of the way.

The confidant

If you’ve ever watched Grey’s Anatomy, you’ve heard Meredith Grey refer to her best friend and confidant Cristina Yang as her “person.”

The confidant is your “person.”

They’re  going to be your go-to pal for it all. No matter where, when or what’s going on, your confidant is going to be there to answer the call and be right by your side the whole way through.

The confidant is the person you know you can trust with every dirty little secret you’ve got tucked away.

They may jokingly threaten to spill the beans at your rehearsal dinner someday, but you know their lips are sealed.

Your confidant doesn’t have to be the oldest friend to be the one who means the most.

Your confidant is your partner through all your endeavors.

They occasionally put on the hats of the encourager, accountability partner and constant to help advise you, but ultimately, they’re holding your hand through it all.

For some, a confidant is a best friend, a sister or maybe even a significant other.

Regardless, when you reach your greatest dreams, the confidant will be the one you run to first to share the big news.

Take a look at your closest friends. Where do they fit amongst the four?

I’ve heard people use the term “self-made” attributing all their life’s successes to themselves.

While for them it may be so, I know that for me, it couldn’t be further from the truth.

I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “it takes a village.”

I believe with my whole heart that your personal success directly relates to your community.

I’m blessed to have found my tribe, and I hope you find yours, too.

I'm Adrianna Santiago, a 20-something-year-old girl created to create beautiful things and love all the people. I'm currently a public relations student at the University of Florida working hard towards finding a career where I can use my creative skills to tell stories and bring people together. ​ When I'm not clacking at my keyboard you can find me sipping on iced coffee working on a design, roaming the streets of Main Street USA (camera in hand of course), or filming and editing videos for my YouTube channel.