Style > Beauty

4 Natural Oils You Need in Your Beauty Routine ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If you’re not using any beauty oils you need to start now. No excuses. I don’t want to hear about how they’re too expensive or how your skin is too. Bottom line: everyone needs to moisturize! Your hair. Your skin. It all could use some extra moisture! 

Each oil has its own weight and properties that can affect your skin for better or for worse. If you have drier skin, you should already know about the importance of moisturizing your skin. For my oily and/or sensitive skin friends, I promise you there are cheap, multi-purpose and effective oils that can slide you down the path to clearer skin. 

Looking to upgrade your hair? Natural oils can help you with that, too! Certain oils can help hydrate your hair and could possibly even help smooth out those pesky split ends. You could even see a change in your eyelashes and eyebrows. With these natural oils, the possibilities are endless. 

These four natural oils are a great way to get started.

1. Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil has been one of my top-tier beauty products for a while now. Its ability to fade my acne scars has been angelic. It’s usually sold in smaller quantities, but a little can go a long way. This ingredient can be used for oily, dry, or itchy skin. For those with acne-prone skin, I recommend adding just a few drops after your nightly skincare cleanse. After a while, you’ll witness all your relentless acne scars fading away. Got dry winter skin? Tea tree oil can soothe your worries (and your face). For itchy skin, tea tree can relieve your pestering urges. Ultimately, tea tree is something you’ll always want to have in your beauty cabinet. Thinking of stocking up? Try Hollywood Beauty Tea Tree Oil for only $3.79 at Target.  

2. Coconut Oil 

Oh, coconut oil. How I love you so. Coconut oil is probably one of the most multi-purpose natural beauty products out there. Apply it to your skin, lips and/or hair for magical results, while smelling like a tropical dream. Coconut oil strip away even your most stubborn makeup, while moisturizing your skin while it’s at it. Apply to soothe dry patches. On those especially humid Florida days (or even every day, honestly) coconut oil can quench your dry, frizzy hair. Got chapped lips? Coconut oil’s got you covered! Apply to your lips as a natural chap stick that makes your lips feel like butter. You can also mix some with brown sugar to create your own natural and affordable lip scrub. 

To try out its various effects, you can buy Spectrum Organic Virgin Coconut Oil for only $7.79 at Target and have enough oil for months. 

3. Castor Oil

I’m telling you, this product is so underrated. Like coconut oil, castor oil can moisturize your skin and strengthen your hair. Inexpensive and sold in large quantities, a 12-ounce bottle can last you for months. Castor oil’s plethora of fatty acids moisturizes your skin, fights bacteria and reduces inflammation. Essentially, it’ll help erase your acne and prevent it from reappearing. When applied to hair, castor oil strengthens the shaft, decreasing breakage. Many people even say that it helped their hair grow stronger and longer. This stuff is so good that some people use it as conditioner. Personally, I apply castor oil to my dry hair after washing at night. If your hair’s on the oilier side, you may want to use in smaller doses, applying before your shower as a hair mask to be washed out later on. 

When applied to eyelashes and eyebrows, castor oil induces the same strengthening and lengthening properties. Moisturize your lashes and brows with castor oil before bed and rinse out in the morning. It’s best applied with a wand applicator.

Check out this castor oil from Sky Organics on Amazon for $15.15 to stock up for months.  

4. Jojoba Oil 

Enriched with vitamin E oil, jojoba oil is one of the best oils to use for your skin. Not only does it moisturize your skin, but it creates a protective barrier on your skin to lock that moisture in and keep bacteria out. Less bacteria means less acne. Similar to tea tree oil, jojoba oil can smooth away your acne scars and help fade away wrinkles. Spent too much time in the sun? Jojoba oil can also cool down your sunburns. Worried about adding too much oil to your skin? Jojoba oil’s composition is so similar to the oils your body naturally produces. Since it can’t tell the difference, jojoba oil signals your brain that you won’t need to produce additional oils. This helps regulate your skin’s oil level and reduces the chances of breakouts ruining another day. 

Want to start seeing results? Apply a few drops to your face at night before bed. Next time you’re at Target, pick up Difeel’s Pure Essential Jojoba Oil for $5.99 to see how your skin glows. 

Integrating any of these oils into your beauty game can help your skin and hair become happier and healthier. And the best part is, it’s all natural! What are you waiting for? Stock up — and oil up — to obtain a brand-new glow. 

Lauren Rousseau is a senior editor for Her Campus UFL. She's also a junior journalism major at the University of Florida, and her writing has appeared in Rowdy Magazine, WUFT News and the Independent Florida Alligator. When Lauren's not starring at a phone or laptop screen, she enjoys starring at her screen even more by watching ridiculous reality television. When all else prevails, catch her baking and listening to music.