Style > Beauty

The 4 Hair Accessories You Need For Spring & Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

A messy hair bun might be the easiest thing to do for an 8:30 a.m. lecture, but it gets boring (and annoying for the person behind you in class trying to see the board). Fortunately, this year has been the revival of several old, forgotten hairstyles that play with functional hair accessories.

From 90’s accessories to chic and girly ones, there are numerous trending options right now that can take you from looking like a “Founding Father” who just auditioned for a part in Hamilton to someone who looks stylish.  

Here are four hair accessories perfect for the spring and summer seasons.

Silk scarves  

Nicely styled silk can elevate any look and instantly make it look chic. People on social media have showcased silk scarves these past few months, and they’re not going anywhere anytime soon.

H&M has a beautiful collection of silk scarves, with intricate prints that will take your outfit to the next level.

Instead of tying a scarf around your neck, you can use it for a simple ponytail. This will add an extra element of elegance to your outfit.  

Braided scarves

A trend popping up across Instagram is the incorporation of scarves in braids.

This is a creative way to play with scarves that doesn’t require too much time.

If you want to try out this hairstyle, make sure that you’re using a light scarf that won’t give you a hard time wrapping around your hair. I also recommend that if you have soft, straight hair to ditch the silk scarf and use a different type of fabric such as a satin and polyester blend like this one from Anthropologie. This ensures that it won’t slip and ruin your overall aesthetic.

Bows, bows and more bows

Bows are still in, and they will probably stay for a while. It’s the type of accessory that ages well, going from a cute addition to a more romantic accessory. People everywhere, including on red carpets, have adopted the satin and velvet bow trend. It’s also the best accessory for minimal effort and money. You can easily wrap a simple strand of fabric around a ponytail or messy bun and call it a good hair day.

Statement clips

Looks like 90’s fashion has returned with one of its greatest stars – big hair clips. Statement clips like this one from Urban Outfitters are the perfect mix of functional and playful. It can make an everyday look a little more stylish.

For special occasions, opt for the pearl hair clips accessory trend that made waves in the fashion scene recently.

Whether or not you’re having a bad hair day or you’re just looking to make your hair feel extra special, try these fabulous hair trends to elevate your look.

Jana is a graduate from the University of Florida with a degree in biology and a certificate in Spanish. She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, entertainment, the environment and everything in between.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.