3 Ways to Prepare for Ultra Music Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The best time of the year is here with the days leading up to the Ultra Music Festival on March 27-29. Awesome music, cute clothes and roadtripping plans are in full swing, but nothing is complete without this list of essential things to pack and do before carpooling to Miami, Florida. Whether it’s your first time going and you have no idea what to bring and wear or you’re a veteran but need some tips on how to better place your pesky phone, here are some life-saving essentials to having an awesome time at one of the biggest music festivals in the country.

1. What To Bring: Only The EssentialsOf course you want to look cute, especially if you’re jamming out to Krewella, but you don’t want to lug around a ton of stuff if you’re camping out where anyone can rummage through your stuff. Think small and necessary. Do you really need those Beats headphones when you’ll be out all day under the hot sun listening to music anyways? No. Instead, think about what you’ll need. For the inexperienced out-of-state students: Ultra is in Miami during a time in Florida when it’s starting to get really hot. This means sunscreen is a must, preferably one with a high SPF (think SPF 30 or above). Also, bring travel-sized items. Miniature things are your friends. Not only will it save you money, but it’ll also save you a lot of space in your backpack or duffle bag. Place your shampoo, body wash and any creams in clear little bottles. These are cute and affordable, and won’t cause you to lose space in your bag. Keeping track of your toiletries will be easier if you place everything small in a large freezer bag. Hand sanitizer is a must. You’ll (preferably) be carrying cash, sitting on the ground and grabbing things others have touched, so be sure to sanitize multiple times throughout the day to ensure that you don’t get sick once you return home.

2. What To Wear: Dress LightRule No. 1: Don’t bring heels. You will regret it before the end of the first day. Pack shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty. This includes sneakers, Keds or something that will hold on to your foot, so leave those flip-flops at home. Your feet will thank you.Rule No. 2: You’ll want a fanny pack. If you’re stuffing your cell phone, cash, hand sanitizer, ID and sunscreen in your pockets, you’ll quickly become uncomfortable. Opt for something cute and festive that adds a flair to any outfit you pick out.Rule No. 3: Shorts are another must. Look for something comfortable, affordable and fashionable like these or these. If this is your first time going to Ultra Music Festival, then you should know that neon is in. Whether it’s neon shirts, pants or socks, pack it and go.Rule No. 4: If you’re bringing sunglasses, leave your Ray Bans at home. If you lose them, you’ll go crazy at a festival you should be enjoying. Choose the plastic ones that organizations on campus give out for free at the beginning of every semester. The upside? They’re usually neon.

3. The Line-UpUltra never fails to bring top artists and DJs to the festival. This year, the roster of musicians attending is sure to bring in an even larger crowd than years before. Adam Beyer, Afrojack and Alesso are just a few of the names on the line-up. Check out the full line-up list here.With such an array of artists performing at Ultra, it can be difficult to decide who to see and how to divide your time. Don’t stress about planning every minute detail of your life while you’re there. As a substitute, spend more time thinking about how much fun you’ll have with your friends.

Going to a music festival is one of the ultimate college experiences. Follow these tips to ensure that you have the most fun, stress-free time possible. Also, be alert and aware of your surroundings at events like these, where illegal drugs and theft are common. Your safety should always be a priority in large gatherings, so be sure to keep that in mind beforehand. Have fun and rage hard, collegiettes!

Photo credit: www.tonguechic.com

Alexia Fernandez is a senior at the University of Florida. A journalism major, she has been interested in films, books and pop culture since she can remember. An avid film buff, she hopes to one day write screenplays, make films and tell stories through as many mediums as possible.