3 Ways to Give Back This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Halloween is by far my favorite holiday. There’s something about this time of year — in combination with the childlike thrill that Halloween offers — that makes it feel so special. However, like many things, the coronavirus has gotten in the way of properly celebrating this magical month. 

I’m used to feeling ecstatic this time of year but I’ve been feeling less excited than usual, and I’ve definitely noticed the same thing about my loved ones and the people around me. I look forward to Halloween every year. I wanted to make sure that I was making the most out of this October, but it was becoming increasingly more difficult with coronavirus restrictions and people’s unfortunate lack of motivation. Then I got to thinking, what are some ways to give back this Halloween to make someone smile and remind them of this light-hearted time of year? 

Here are a few ideas that you can implement into your Halloween activities to make a positive impact on someone’s day and get you both in the spooky spirit!

Make goody bags for your loved ones

There’s no better way to spread Halloween cheer like a goody bag filled with candies and fun festivities. Other than packaged candy, I suggest stuffing this goody bag with Halloween or fall-themed small gifts like pencils, erasers, tissue packs or hand sanitizers. To add personal touches to the bags, you could add your friends’ and family’s favorite candies, a picture or polaroid of you together (a past Halloween photo would be cute) or a spooky yet sweet Halloween card. To add even more festivity, you can pick up a pack of plastic creatures, skeletons and bugs from the dollar store, and sprinkle them throughout the bags.

I plan on making goody bags for my family members and the children in my life. I know my younger cousins won’t be able to trick-or-treat this year and I know how much my family loves candy. So, I thought it would be a fun surprise for them to receive. I want to brighten their days and hopefully get them in the spooky season spirit!

Take advantage of volunteer opportunities

This might be the most difficult option because of the coronavirus, but it is also the most rewarding. There are plenty of volunteering opportunities that you can do safely or from the comfort of your own home. One of my favorite and easy activities to do to is help out my community is cleaning up.

We all know the risks and power that littering has on the environment because we need to do our part in taking care of our planet and community. I live in a beach town, so there’s plenty of opportunities to go to the beach and pick up the trash that’s scattered around. You can do this at any location in your town, campus or favorite local spots to ensure that you’re helping out while also creating a clean space for Halloween time and the upcoming holiday season! 

You’d be surprised how many local businesses need help during these crazy times, in ways you wouldn’t even think of. For example, they might need help with running their social media and graphic design, so they can spread the word that they’re open. That’s where you can step in and help out. Depending on the situation, it might even be an experience that you can add to your resume. You can post about Halloween and what the business is doing to prepare or any holiday specials they are having.

You’ll never know what kind of help someone might need unless you ask!

Leave positive messages

It might be cheesy, but I know if I were to see a paper on my car or in my mailbox leaving me a positive message, it would brighten my day. This is probably the easiest way to spread Halloween cheer and lift others up.

You can get notecards and doodle Halloween creatures, or place a few stickers on the page to add some more decoration. Some of my favorites messages are ‘Smile, it looks good on you!’, ‘Happy Halloween!’ and ‘Life is tough but so are you!’ 

I think these positive notes are so sweet and are just another way to help others out. You never know when someone else might need a boost in their day. I suggest placing them on people’s cars in parking lots or putting them in mailboxes around neighborhoods. I’ve received a few of these in my lifetime, and they never fail to make me smile. 

Although it’s a bummer that Halloween can’t reach its full potential this year, there’s always a way to make the best out of the situation. Don’t let this Halloween or holiday season in general pass by without doing anything festive, make the most of it! There’s never a wrong time to spread kindness and positivity and to show the ones you love just how much you care for them, but this year’s Halloween is a perfect opportunity to do it with a festive spin.

Journalism major at the University of Florida.