The 3 Books You Need to Read, According to Her Campus UFL Members

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Nothing helps me take my mind off the day’s events like flipping through the pages of a good book. After hustling through a block of classes and sending internship applications, it’s nice to get lost in a world of words.

In fact, a few Her Campus UFL members have been reading a few great books that they’d love to share.

Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card

Her Campus UFL’s senior news editor Jess Curbelo recently finished this exciting first installment to the Ender Saga. In this science fiction series, readers delve into a world overcome by aliens for 70 years. Children train from a young age, through the disguise of games, to fight in a war between humans and alien invaders.

“There are a lot of schemes and plotting involved in the story,” Curbelo said. “And it’s entertaining to try to follow them and figure them out while they’re still being executed.”

She said she enjoyed the world building, the character’s traits and the sense of urgency despite the book’s long-time span.

“I cared about what was happening,” she said. “I cared about the results of the war, and I definitely cared about the games the kids were playing.”

Curbelo found the book worthy of a five-star rating.

Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi

Morgan Sparker, a Her Campus UFL features writer, describes this sweet contemporary novel as “less of a meet-cute moment and more of a ‘oh, I slightly know you and this is awkward, but I need help’ moment.”

Emergency Contact tells the story of Penny and Sam’s text-based friendship that they use to escape reality.

“I usually lean more toward science fiction and fantasy books, but this is definitely turning out to be a binge-worthy romance,” Sparker said.

She identifies with the college-aged main characters, Sparker and Penny, who try to make it as writers. Although she hasn’t finished the book yet, she is “excited to spend more time with it” and already gives it five out of five stars.

The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman

I picked up this book from the UF Bookstore on a whim, and it caught me by surprise. Realistic fiction is hard to conquer, but Alice Hoffman found the perfect blend of creativity and realism. It focuses on the Owens family, who has always been a little different. The family is vexed by a  centuries long curse – even into the 1960s when we meet Franny, Jet and Vincent. These teens begin to realize that they have powers unlike anything they’ve known. And along with this, the trio realizes they are doomed to never find love.

There’s magic in every word of this book. Although I’m not far into the novel, it’s clear that the Owens family possess a magic that isn’t overwhelming or unrealistic. It gives hope to the reader that the extraordinary exists. The characters are also fun and charming as they navigate their abilities, attempting to break the Owens family curse.

I hope this inspired you to curl up with a new book and find a little magic with each turn of a page.

Whatever mood you’re in, these three books may be just what you need to escape the busy day and dive into a realm away from responsibilities. Check out these novels and let us know which you like best!

Taylor is a sophomore at the University of Florida studying all things journalism. You'll probably see her venturing around Gainesville with a camera and a good book, and she'll probably stop to say hi to your dog. She is also a proud plant mother, a tea junkie, and a creative writer. Get to know her better on her Instagram and on her blog, Taylor Is.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.