This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As UF collegiettes know, 21st birthday celebrations are some of the most fabulous experiences you will have as an undergraduate. Not only is turning 21 a rite of passage with obvious benefits, but it is also an excuse to don a cute outfit or costume and go out with all your friends. Although the dress code for your celebrations may vary, sign boards are staple elements.

For days (and even weeks!) before the birthday girl turns 21, her friends toil over creating the perfect sign to present to her on the eve of her 21st birthday. One of the most difficult parts of the process is the selection of a sign shape that embodies their friend’s unique personality and preferences. Sign themes range from favorite animals to favorite shoes to favorite foods and even to favorite Disney princesses.

Though most signs are cut out of foam board, some friends choose to laminate the signs for the birthday girl so it does not get ruined. The only downside to this is that it is hard to laminate glitter, so you cannot be as creative with sign decorating if you want it to be protected from any spills.

Once the sign shape and design is agreed upon, the birthday girl’s friends devise a list of 21 tasks for her to complete. Sometimes the tasks are mundane, but usually they are outrageous! Here are some rather tame tasks commonly seen on sign boards:

• Ask for phone numbers from 21 guys
• Have a stranger buy you a shot
• Take a body shot
• Tebow in three different bars
• Call the 21st number on your phone regardless of who it is
• Take 21 photos with strangers
• Watch the sunrise
• Jump in a fountain

While some collegiettes at other schools are starting to catch on, sign boards seem to be most prevalent at FSU and UF, so that means there is even more competition to make the cutest signs! Browse your friends’ Facebooks for ideas on making adorable signs and then, when your friend’s birthday finally arrives, don’t forget to pack a metallic pen to check off tasks!