18 Signs You’re a UF Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

UF is home to 50,000+ students. People travel from all over the world to attend this university, making Gainesville a diverse place to study. Even though students come from all walks of life, we all share the same passion for The Gator Nation. But this passion is not the only characteristic we share. Students also share common traits and struggles during their college career. Check out this list to see what you have in common with your fellow Gators:

1. You own way more orange and blue than the average person. When your friends and family first hear you have chosen to attend UF, they show their approval by helping you stock up on Gators apparel. When you move to Gainesville, organizations hand out free T-shirts left and right to persuade you to join their clubs. After your first football season in The Swamp, your gameday dress collection has grown extensively. Before you know it, your wardrobe has been completely consumed by orange and blue.

2. You are constantly surrounded by red brick buildings. When you first took a tour of UF, you probably felt like you were lost in a maze of brick buildings. It felt as if the Cicerones were saying, “If you look to your left you will see a brick building. Now, if you look to your right you will see another brick building.” The abundance of brick buildings may have seemed a little overwhelming on your first trip, but each one of them will grow on you over the years and add to the beauty of the campus.

3. You never leave Turlington empty-handed. No matter what time of the year it is, there are always organizations tabling on Turlington Plaza. Even if you try your best to avoid eye contact with the people handing out fliers, it’s impossible to leave Turlington without something in your hand.

4. Gatorade is your sports drink of choice. The weather in Florida gets hot, and it is important to keep hydrated. What better way to stay refreshed than with a cold bottle of Gatorade? The sports drink was developed in 1965 at the university and has since been the sports drink of choice by athletes at UF and several other teams across the country.

5. There are bikes and scooters everywhere. If you haven’t almost been hit by a bike or scooter on campus, do you even go here?

6. The Starbucks line is by far the longest line on campus. College students need their caffeine fix to make up for all the hours of lost sleep. Conveniently, multiple Starbucks are located on campus, but be prepared to stand in line for a while.

7. You know Gainesville is often referred to as “Rainesville.” The chances of getting caught in rain on campus are normally pretty high. After just a couple of weeks in Gainesville, students know not to leave the house without an umbrella or rain jacket. #InAllKindsOfWeather.

8. You aren’t confused when told to meet at the “French Fries” or “The Potato.” On your first tour of the university, you probably stared at that large, yellow structure (French Fries) by Marston Science Library and the cement statue (The Potato) on Turlington peculiarly. During your time studying here, these statues have made a way into your heart and make great meet-up points.

9. Gainesville RTS is an arctic wonderland. A true UF student knows to always bring a jacket when boarding the RTS. The buses can get chilly and will have you at your destination covered in goose bumps if you don’t plan accordingly.

10. SNAP doesn’t arrive at the snap of your fingers. We learn lessons the hard way, and for many of us, that means waiting way too long to get a ride from SNAP (Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol). SNAP is a great resource for getting around Gainesville at night, but it also takes a while.

11. Right over left. The most important thing students learn during a tour is how to do the Gator Chomp properly. When in doubt, just remember right over left.

12. You find yourself spending more time going to Study Edge than to class. It is comforting to know when you are swamped with your classes that Study Edge has your back.

13. You never miss a game in The Swamp. Even if you’re not a big football fan, you can never say no to a throw down in The Swamp. Gamedays are a tradition in Gainesville. If you have never participated, then you need to reevaluate your life.

14. You know the lyrics to “We are the Boys from Old Florida” by heart. After the third quarter, there isn’t a person in the stadium who isn’t swaying back and forth chanting, “In all kinds of weather, we all stick to-getheeerrrrrr.”

15. Finding parking is nearly impossible. The struggle of trying to find a parking spot is very real. Many students choose other means of transportation because of the stress finding a parking spot can induce. When driving to class, remember to be patient and always give yourself plenty of time to look for a spot. 

16. ISIS is a favorite on your search engine. Anything and everything students are trying to find out about classes, financial aid and degree programs can be found on ISIS. Even though it is a great resource, students have a love/hate relationship with it because it can also be the bearer of bad news.

17. You know that University Police means business. Chances are you — or someone you know — has encountered the wrath of the UPD through parking tickets, speeding tickets (even on bikes) and jaywalking fines. If there is anything to take away from your time at UF (besides a degree) it’s that jaywalking is a punishable crime.

18. You have camped out for a Beat T-shirt. The way to any college student’s heart is free food and free T-shirts. The Student Alumni Association offers free Beat T-shirts to its members during the week of certain home games.

If you nodded your head at any of these characteristics or have experienced any of these common struggles, chances are you attend UF. Remember: We are all Gators at the end of the day, and that’s something to be proud of. 

Morgan is a public relations freshman at the University of Florida and is a new addition to the Her Campus UFL team. She recently moved to Gainesville from the small city of Deltona, Florida in order to embark on a new journey in her life. She is best described as a motivated individual who does everything to the best of her ability and likes to look good while doing it. Morgan is passionate about fashion, online shopping, and mint chocolate chip ice cream. In her free time she enjoys retail therapy, catching up with her friends and family, spending time outside, and cheering on the Florida Gators.