It’s always fun to kick back after a long day of class, turn on your laptop and open up Tumblr. But there comes a moment when, after hours of scrolling, you notice the sun has gone down and you think to yourself, “I may be a little bit addicted to this website.” If you don’t know for sure whether your Tumblr habit qualifies as an addiction, here are some certain signs:
1. You know the main plots, major characters and crucial romance arcs of about half a dozen TV shows that you don’t watch.
2. The phrases “I can’t even!” “What is air?” and “My feels!” are integrated seamlessly into your vocabulary.
3. When you hear the word “shipping,” you don’t think of FedEx.
4. If your friend has a new love interest, you immediately start referring to the two of them as your OTP.
5. You’re constantly reblogging fashion pictures that reflect your dream aesthetic, but you’ve been sitting in gym shorts and an old T-shirt for the past few hours.
6. You can give an in-depth analysis of a two-minute clip from your favorite TV show, yet you can’t write that paper for your literature class.
7. You know how much power a well-placed cat gif can have.
8. You find yourself becoming more sarcastic as each minute passes.
9. When you hang out with your friends, all you tend to talk about is whether or not they’ve seen that funny post on Tumblr you reblogged.
10. Even when doing homework, you have Tumblr open in a separate tab (or two, or three…) and find yourself taking several breaks to refresh your dashboard.
11. There’s probably something more important you should be doing instead of scrolling through your dashboard.
12. And some nights you feel like you’re missing out because you decided you preferred to stay in with your laptop rather than turn it up at a club.
13. But in the end, you accept who you are and what you like to do because it’s made you more aware of relevant issues and connected you to people you would’ve never met otherwise, so you sit back and scroll for another four hours.
If you find yourself exhibiting more than a few of these behaviors, then congratulations! You’re addicted to Tumblr. It’s not a bad thing — just as long as you remember to write that paper and do your WebAssign before midnight. Before you head back to your own dashboard, be sure to check out our Tumblr page to get the latest news from Her Campus UFL!