10 Ways Watching Grey’s Anatomy Has Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Now that I’ve watched every single episode of Grey’s Anatomy on Netflix, and have no idea what to do with my life now, I’ve had some time to reflect on the various impacts this glorious show and story has had on my life since I started watching it in my freshman year dorm room.

1. My standards of love have changed

After you see a love like Der’ and Mer, how can you not look for something “extraordinary together, rather than ordinary apart”?

2. Beauty isn’t everything

I love seeing women with brains represented on television. Showing women working hard, saving lives and being more than beautiful reminds many young viewers of what’s important in life.

3. Even the best of us can overwork ourselvesWe’ve all been there, Lexi…Especially after those study marathons at Library West.

4. Taking pride in yourself no matter what is important

Dr. Torres has been put through so many challenges in this show, yet she still remains unapologetic in who she is and is so passionate about whatever she wants. We all need a little bit of Torres’s spunky attitude when the going gets tough.

5. Life will throw curveballs, and it’s okay to not understand why they hit you in the face

Meredith gets mad at fate sometimes, but she pushes through with resilience and strength, with her radiant intelligence and drive leading the way.

6. Be a good “person”

Yang + Grey= Forever friendship goals

7. Even the people we view as impeccable are human and have feelings, too

Derek may have to swallow his pride at times, but he always owns up and admits his mistakes if he’s made them. With his perfectionist personality, his ability to be humble says a lot about his character.

8. The world can be a judgmental place, but your own judgement is the only one that matters

Karev is the fiercest and strongest teddy bear around. His ability to thrive from a broken home and go on to be a successful surgeon despite people’s judgements are great reminders for you to just focus on your work rather than people’s opinion of it.

9. Amidst the struggle, keep moving forward

Residency and college are tough, but we are tougher! Nothing a little Netflix binge can’t fix.  

10. Find your voice and don’t be afraid to shout it from the rooftops

You are worthy and full of valuable opinions. Don’t ever back down or be afraid to share that light with the world.

Image credit: drodd.com