10 Ways to Prep for the Spring Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Great news. Spring is almost here. With this new season, comes new beginnings. New growth, fresh air, cleaner spaces and a clearer mind. Spring is the season where we can have a life “refresh.” Don’t know where to start? How to prep for this season? No worries. Follow these tricks.

Deep clean your space

Honestly, I’m obsessed with cleaning and organizing. Unlike most 20-year-olds, I really enjoy having a set in stone cleaning routine. I follow it to a T, which ensures my space is always fresh. Before spring rolls around, I really recommend cleaning out your space. Even if you live in a dorm, or a single room in an apartment, it’s really critical to keep even the smallest of spaces clean and orderly. Make sure to vacuum, dust, disinfect countertops, do the dishes, clean any mirrors and even wash your bedding (your comforter, too.) By doing all this, you’ll step into spring with a clear space and an even clearer mind.

Have a closet cleanout

It’s time to ditch the heavy winter wardrobe! With springtime comes warmer weather for most places, so schedule a day to clear out your closet. Take out all of your winter clothing items, like heavy jackets and sweaters, and switch it out for thinner clothing items. Great spring clothes include linen dresses, tank tops, tees and denim shorts or ankle jeans. Not only will this switch help make room in your closet, but it will also make sure your style is prepped and ready to go.

Switch out the meals you’re eating

When it’s springtime, it’s not really necessary to eat many warm meals. No more soups or chilis. If you meal prep or like to plan your grocery list ahead of time like I do, try to implement more fresh foods into your life. Great spring meals and snacks include salads, seasonal fruit, stir-cooked veggies and smoothies. If you do go for seasonal fruit, one tip I have is to buy local. Not only is the quality of the produce great, but you are also supporting your town’s businesses and family-owned stores. It’s a win-win.

Mark your calendar with important events

Once winter is over, a lot of events start to occur. For students, you might want to write down any exam dates or end of term projects coming up. You can also mark any graduation dates or deadlines. Forgetting to order your cap and gown? What a nightmare. Also, don’t be afraid to mark down dates further into the year. Like any summer weddings or parties you will be attending. You can use a physical planner to do this or use an app on your phone or laptop. The choice is yours. Happy planning!

Get outside

No more cold weather! Finally. It is so important to both our physical and mental health that we spend more time outdoors. It allows you to get the vitamin D you need. Which in turn boosts your immune system. You can do this in many ways. Go on a walk with a pet or a friend, read a book in the park or even just lay out on the grass. One thing to keep in mind while doing these things is to wear sunscreen.

Change out your skincare

Skincare is another passion of mine. When springtime arrives, it’s important to take a good look at your skincare routine and see if anything needs to be changed or added. Rather than using the thick creams and moisturizers you used in the harsh winter months, switch those products out for something lighter. A great option is a serum. Try to look for any particular one that includes hyaluronic acid, which is a hydrating agent that can hold up 1,000 times its own weight in water. It helps keep the skin smooth and hydrated.

Open the windows in your house

Drink more water

Change your appearance

Don’t be afraid of changing up the way you look. It can be something as simple as getting highlights in your hair or a new manicure. Or it can even be as drastic as a major haircut or switching the way you wear your makeup. I remember all throughout my first year of high school, I never wore makeup. One day, I ended up wearing some and my friends hardly recognized me. They liked the change, though. So did I, which was all the matters. Though, the next day I went back to the whole “no makeup” thing because I loved sleeping in too much to put effort into an eyeliner look. Just know that whatever you want to look like is your choice.

Buy a new journal

Document this new season. Buy a new journal, maybe even some new pens and enjoy writing out your thoughts. In your journal, you can write what you look forward to in the future, you can do daily entries describing how your day went or you can even use it in a therapeutic way, too. Journaling is such a great way to either start or end your day.

I hope this coming spring treats you well. I think it’s a great time to remember to reflect on your own life. Look at your goals, dreams and aspirations and get inspired to achieve anything you set your mind to. Here’s to the dreamiest and most productive spring yet.

Former Feature Writer. UF English Literature Alum.