Coffee Table Couch Apartment Living Room Sunny
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

10 Tips for Loving and Living with Others During the Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The coronavirus entered the United States in a sweeping motion that trapped people inside their homes the way children are confined to highchairs — all at once and unwillingly. Florida moved into its final reopening stage and now allows restaurants and businesses to operate at full capacity.  Despite the ongoing crusade to “get back to normal,” students and families hesitate to enter a world that closed down for months with a virus looming. Rather than flocking to the open venues, students choose to stay where they have been since March: at home with their roommates or families. 

Students did not expect to be stuck at home with the same people for months on end. However, we have now learned how to live with each other without an intermission. Here are ten tips for surviving the pandemic with your loved ones. 

Enjoy the company 

With Americans hesitant to reengage with the world (for good reason), the people you live with are probably the safest bet for human interaction. With friends and family surrounding you, you’re less likely to experience the loneliness and isolation of those who lived alone throughout the pandemic. Take advantage of the built-in interaction and engage in conversations and activities with your roommates or family members. 

Make small gestures 

The constant companionship during a pandemic is rewarding, but it also makes it easier to unravel people’s nerves. Small gestures go a long way in keeping people happy. Picking up morning coffee for your roommates or decorating bedroom doors to go along with the season reminds the people living with you that you care. It also adds to the morale of the home at a time when happiness is sought after. The chances of it decreasing fighting are also good.

Appreciate the small outings 

The “normal” methods of bonding shattered when the coronavirus hit the glass. Bar hopping, concerts and other outings fall short of the safe ways to enjoy your roommates’ companies. Small outings are the new ultimate bonding experience. Taking walks outside to take out the trash or pick up mail and packages are a great way to take a break from the day and see each other. It also gets everyone out of the house and moving their bodies. Just don’t forget to bring your mask. 

Help each other with chores 

With everyone living, cooking and coexisting for days on end, a house or apartment collects dirt as quickly as the pavement. Contributing to housework will go a long way in keeping attitudes positive throughout the pandemic. Splitting up chores like sweeping, mopping, dishes and trash helps make sure no one feels like their doing the brunt of the work. This way, not only do spirits stay raised, but allergy and dust buildup remain low. 

Speak up, but be civilized 

Amid constant interaction, people will butt heads. Rather than letting the issues on the stove boil over, talk about them while being respectful and kind. Speaking out in a civilized manner ensures that problems can be resolved before the bubbling is out of control. Think about what the issue is, and be specific about how you think it needs to be addressed. This keeps you and the roomies on the same page and out of the boxing arena. 

Create a routine 

Life’s resemblance to normal is foggy at best. While darting to class, gym sessions and library all-nighters frozen in time, our schedules don’t need to freeze too. To maintain sanity, coming up with an efficient schedule will keep the grades high and the body healthy. Figure out a wake-up time, homework time and workout schedule. Then, take the time to understand your roommates’ schedules. The plans may be different, but understanding how other people operate helps us understand their lives and avoid unnecessary conflict. 

Be considerate 

Living with people proves to be a task in itself. It doesn’t matter if they are your best friends or strangers. We all work and see the world differently, and it’s important to respect those differences. Don’t bang around in the kitchen at 6 a.m. if you know your roommate didn’t get off of work until midnight. Be mindful of people’s classes and exams so that “Folklore” isn’t blaring when they need quiet. Respecting the needs of the people you live with makes it more likely that they will respect yours. 

Set aside time for each other

With Zoom classes and homework stacks, it can be easy to lock yourself in a room and stare at a computer screen all day without any social interaction. But, easy doesn’t equal healthy. Plan to take breaks in between tasks or at night to talk to your roommates or family members.  The pandemic has proven to be a difficult time for many. It has created and surfaced the anxiety, depression and mental health struggles people were already coping with beforehand. Only now, they’re magnified. Setting aside time for socialization and relaxation can help you and your roommates stay in a healthy headspace. Being a reliable friend and family member is the first step to being a good roommate. 

Take time for yourself 

While you should be setting aside time for others, also set aside time for yourself. Alone time creates a safe space for people to process their feelings and attitudes about the pandemic, school and life. Don’t be afraid to take time in your room, at a park or in another safe place to be with your thoughts. The quiet time doesn’t have to be long for it to be beneficial. By pouring into yourself, you’ll be better able to pour into others. 

Have a plan for the coronavirus

Despite people limiting their interactions, the wide-spread infection of the coronavirus means that you or your roommates could get it from anywhere – work, school or the grocery store. Discuss what action you plan to take should one of you show symptoms or test positive. Can that person go stay somewhere else? Where can everyone get tested? What other risks are associated with your plan? Talking about these things beforehand creates less confusion in the moment. Laying out a clear plan for if someone contracts the coronavirus will help you and your roommates handle the situation in a healthy and thoughtful manner.  

The coronavirus continues to plague the country and keep normal life at a distance. But, the increased time spent at home doesn’t have to equate to an increase in conflict. By utilizing these tips, Roommates and family members can make the most of a bad situation and flowers can grow in the cracks of concrete. 

Growing up I attended three elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school. I moved a total of six times altogether: I have lived in Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Florida (twice), Missouri and Indiana. Each move taught me to love the new experiences that the world has to offer. It was the constant moving that sparked my interest in travel. Ever since I was young, I enjoyed spending hours in new places, trying new foods and collecting new stories to tell. Besides my six moves, much of my time is spent traveling to other cities within the United States. So far, my favorites have been New York City and New Orleans. The beignets from Café Du Monde made me want to cry tears of joy. My ultimate travel goal is to one day visit France. I desperately want to see the Palace of Versailles and walk through the Hall of Mirrors. While experiencing the world thus far, my taste buds have developed an affinity for coffee. Since the age of five, I have been an avid drinker. My body calls for coffee first thing in the morning and sometimes at night. I am a firm believer that all coffee needs caffeine. I also have a wicked sweet tooth and am willing to try any number of milkshakes, ice cream and doughnuts. My great loves are traveling, coffee and sweets; I also love to write. I hope to one day use my degree in journalism to tell other people’s stories in an entertaining and informative manner. It is also a part of my plan to attend law school. I look forward to experiencing all the adventures (sweets and coffee included) that life has to offer!