10 Things You Need to Know Before Going on a Spring Break Cruise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Spring Break cruises can be some of the most memorable experiences in the lives of college students. Cruise ships are full of all-you-can-eat buffets, casinos, pools, ice skating rinks and the list goes on and on. If you have never experienced a cruise before, then there are certain things you should know before you go. Here is a list of 10 tips every collegiette should know before embarking on her first Spring Break cruise.

1. Iron your clothes beforehand: Surprisingly, most cruise ships don’t have irons in the rooms,or anywhere on the ship. It’s important to iron your clothes before you pack them, or you will be a wrinkled mess for the majority of your trip. My family once bought a mini iron and hid it in our luggage, but the metal detectors found it. Save yourself the trouble by pre-ironing your clothes!

2. Overpack: Cruises are the one vacation where I definitely think overpacking is a plus. You will be on the go for the majority of your trip and will want to change outfits throughout the experience. Research your ship and excursions beforehand so you know exactly what to pack for. Some ships even have ice skating rinks, so you will want to pack jeans and a light sweater.

3. Bring a formal dress: Formal nights are a big deal on cruise ships. Shorter cruises (less than five days) typically will have one formal night, whereas week-long cruises often have two formal nights. These are the nights when you can bring out the gorgeous dress you’ve been dying to wear for months. You will see all types of looks on formal night—some women choose a simple little cocktail dress, while others will rock their long evening gown and look absolutely gorgeous for the professional photographers scattered throughout the ship.

4. Dress cute the first day: As soon as you board the ship, you’ll have your picture taken, and that’s the photo that will be registered to your card for the ship. Every crew member you interact with will see this picture of you each time you use your card, whether you’re boarding the boat or buying a cute designer watch in the jewelry store.

5. Say goodbye to texting: Once aboard the ship, you will only have a few hours before you leave the port and lose service for the next week. Enjoy this time with your friends and don’t worry about things going on back home. Remember to set your phone on airplane mode to avoid crazy data charges.

6. Bring sunscreen: After a chilly winter, your body is not used to being in the sun for long periods of time. The tanning decks can be pretty intense, so it’s important to rub some sunscreen to avoid looking like a lobster for the remainder of your trip.

7. Pack workout clothes: Many cruise lines have fun and free workout classes in the gym. You can experience fun yoga classes or even a spin class. Plus, working out will leave you guilt-free at the all-you-can-eat buffets.

8. Schedule a spa session: Anticipate some girly downtime during your trip. Schedule a manicure and pedicure session with your girls or even a Swedish massage to release the tension of second semester stresses.

9. Book your off-the-boat excursions: Cruise ship excursions sell out quickly, so I suggest checking out the experiences offered at the ports before you board the ship. Climbing a waterfall in Jamaica, zip-lining through rainforests and even parasailing for the first time are just a few of the experiences offered through cruises.

10. Be open-minded and adventurous, and get ready for the time of your life: Cruises are the perfect time to let your adventurous side out! You will be meeting fun people from all around the country who will become close friends of yours for the week. Take advantage of excursions and try new things each day!

Cruises are amazing vacations that you will never forget! These 10 tips will help you make your experience stress-free and full of excitement. Live your Spring Break to the fullest this year and enjoy every second of it. These are the days you’ll never forget!

Photo credit: cruisemiss.com

Hey I'm Spencer! I'm a senior journalism major with a leadership minor here at UF. I love traveling to different countries, running half marathons and spending time with my friends. This past summer I had two pr and marketing internships in NYC with fashion labels JOVANI and REISS. I'll be graduating and moving back to NYC this December.