10 Things that make UF Southern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

UF is situated in beautiful Gainesville, right in the center of Florida. Although most people think of Georgia, Alabama or Tennessee when they picture the South, I would challenge them to visit Gainesville and leave without thinking the campus has a distinct southern charm. Although we might be a little removed from the Mason-Dixon line, Gainesville still brings out a little bit of country in all of us. Here are the 10 signs UF is a southern school:

1. Southeastern Conference. Being a member of the SEC is not to be taken lightly. With big name schools like LSU, the University of Alabama and the University of Georgia, the SEC brings some serious football competition. Don’t be surprised if you hear someone tell you their list of priorities follows the order of God, their country and the SEC.

2. Jack Rogers. They are just as perfect for walking to class as they are for a nice Sunday brunch. They also complete the southern comfort look while letting you expose your fresh pedicure, too.

3. Koozies. They’re insulators for your beverage, and they usually come with a fun little design on the front. The easiest way to spot a southern gal? She’s drinking her mint julep from a cup with a Koozie.

4. Croakies. Before I came to UF, I thought only old folks connected their sunglasses with these contraptions so they wouldn’t lose them. Now I realize Croakies are just another unique fashion trend of the southern culture. From designer brands to random ones you picked up off the floor at a tailgate on gameday, Croakies are a sure sign that you’re in the South.

5. Oversized T-shirts. These are the uniform of Southern belles. Even if you’re clearly a size small, you order your shirt in a large or forever be called out by your more southern friend. Fitted shirts are so 2008. If I can’t see your shorts, you’re doing it right.

6. Lilly Pulitzer. This brand iconizes southern style. Her vibrantly patterned dresses can be easily distinguished from a traditional shift dress, and they scream southern fashion.

7. Gameday dresses. Orange and blue aren’t always the most flattering colors, but on gameday we wear them with pride. While students at other schools wear T-shirts, in Gainesville gameday is like a miniature fashion show. Bring out your best royal blue dress because in the South, gamedays are all about dresses.

8. Monogram. Your laptop, your car, your water bottle, your necklace, your tumblers. You name it — a southerner will monogram it. In the South, a monogram is like a personal logo — it defines you and identifies you at the same time. If it doesn’t move, you should probably try to monogram it.

9. Sweet tea. I wouldn’t be surprised if UF started replacing water fountains with sweet tea fountains. I also wouldn’t be surprised if someone started replacing IV fluids with sweet tea, simply because it’ll streamline the process of getting your daily tea intake. If you want to be extra southern, drink your sweet tea from a mason jar.

10. Y’all. Why say “you all” or “you guys” when you can shorten it to one succinct word? Listening for a “y’all” is the easiest way to pick out the most southern gal in the room.