The 10 Stages of Chopping All Your Hair Off

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Sitting at the hair salon, I had a lot of time to think about the decision I was about to make. I waited, thinking about my hair, a staple of my image and a testament to the past 21 years of my life. I’d never worn it short. A trip to the hair salon usually entailed a trim and styling, something quick and simple. Long hair is a girl’s crowning glory, but there comes a time when a drastic change is needed. In my case, I felt like a completely different person from my younger self. I made a change so that my physical appearance could reflect how I felt inside: older and wiser. In case you’re wondering what really happens when you chop off your hair, here’s the lowdown.

1. Sitting in the salon, your nervousness builds and second thoughts run rampant.

Am I doing the right thing? What if I end up looking like Amelia Bedelia with an even worse hair day?

2. As the hairstylist ushers you to a seat, you can’t help but feel a rush of excitement.

No one knows you’re doing this. Your parents don’t know, you’ve kept this a secret from your sister, and even your best friend won’t see this coming. It’s about to be a whole new you.

3. The stylist arranges your hair in a ponytail and that’s the moment you realize this is actually happening.

You get to choose where the cut will happen. And when you choose the nape of your neck, you send a quick prayer to whoever is listening that it looks good.

4. As soon as you hear snipping, you realize there is no Backspace, Delete or Ctrl Z button that will undo what you’ve done.

I mean, go big or go home, am I right?

5. But then you look in the mirror and realize you might actually look good with short hair.

It’s that moment that you realize all your fears and worries were for nothing because who would actually let you walk out of the salon with a bowl cut?

6. Once your hair is styled, you realize there’s no way you can put it up in a ponytail anymore.

Cue all the sad feels. On the other hand, no more hair ties! Better yet: No more losing hair ties!

7. Now people you know are constantly asking you why you cut your hair so short.

“OMG, you cut your hair? Why???”

8. Or they just ask you what it feels like.

“How does it feel to have your hair so short?” Um, like I have hair on my head. Not much different than before.

9. You’re pleasantly surprised to realize that your hair dries within 15 minutes of taking a shower.

I guess that new blow dryer is no longer needed.

10. Shorter hair = Better hair days.

While you were expecting to struggle with shorter hair, it’s proven to be easier at styling than longer hair ever was. Cut your prep time by half, and you’ll be walking out the door in time to catch the bus to the Hub!

Cutting off eight to 10 inches of my hair was a big commitment. Not only was I agreeing to make a big change, but I was also placing myself in a position to live with the outcome of my decision, whether I liked the final product or not. It was scary and exhilarating. It was also the best decision I have made this year because it finally feels like I’ve flipped the page into a new chapter. This was a drastic choice for me to make, but I made it anyway because I knew it was time to become who I am now. It’s also made me happier and more content, so here’s to making changes, collegiettes!

Photo source: www.huffpost.com

Alexia Fernandez is a senior at the University of Florida. A journalism major, she has been interested in films, books and pop culture since she can remember. An avid film buff, she hopes to one day write screenplays, make films and tell stories through as many mediums as possible.