Will Taylor Swift shake it off with UEA students?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UEA chapter.

Excitement has been building on campus since it was announced that BBC Radio 1’s Big Weekend would be held in Norwich this May. The excitement was then maximised by the confirmation of the seven-time Grammy winner Taylor Swift as a headliner to the event, alongside Florence and the Machine. Just when we thought life couldn’t get any better, a petition has been started by UEA students this week to get Taylor Swift to grace us with her presence at the LCR and to dance with us like she’s 22.

Radio 1’s Big Weekend is the UK’s biggest free-ticketed festival and this May thousands of lucky spectators will be able to watch Swift among other global superstars perform under the sun in Earlham Park. Seeing as the majority of the free tickets are reserved for Norwich residents, the students of UEA are in with a good chance of snagging a ticket to the most talked about weekend in UEA history. On May 23rd and 24th, UEA students will gather to procrastinate in the park and in the words of Taylor ‘forget about the deadlines’ and ‘dance like we’re 22’.

Livewire 1350 radio duo: Holly Tuxworth and Dan Allen decided to add a little ‘magic, madness, heaven and sin’ to the mix and used their show this week to launch a change.org petition to get Taylor to party at the LCR during her stay in Norwich. The petition was launched less than three days ago and already boasts more than 500 signatures. Despite starting as a joke, the chances of Swift partying with us are becoming more and more likely, especially with the backing of UEA’s own Greg James. The radio presenter and UEA old boy knows the blonde beauty and tweeted his support to the livewire duo, offering his help in persuading Taylor to ‘shake it off’ in the Student Union Club.

Taylor, if you’re reading, we’re sorry to quote you to you, but ‘you’ve got a smile that could light up this whole town’, so come dance with us in Norwich and prove that ‘this life is sweeter than fiction’.

Jen is a French and International Development student in her final year at University of East Anglia and an aspiring magazine editor. She is an active member of campus social life and when she is not writing future online content or updating her fashion and lifestyle blog, you will find her in Topshop or any cafe that serves tea and cake, reading tonnes of the latest fashion magazines.