HC UEA Campus Cutie: Mark Palk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UEA chapter.

We caught up with this week’s Campus Cutie: the lovely Mark Palk. This muscly gent studies French and Spanish and is currently in his fourth year at UEA after spending an idyllic year abroad in France and Mexico. As part of the Territorial Army, he has pretty impressive muscles and never misses a chance to show off his ‘guns’.

We sat down with Mark to find out a bit more…

Name: Mark Palk

Hometown: Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK

Relationship status: “Taken! Sorry ladies…”

University Course: “I study (get ready) BA Hons Translation and Interpretation with double honours language French and Spanish. It’s a long title and even I don’t know what it means but will hopefully get me noticed…one day.”

Describe yourself in three words: “Cuddly, food-lover and adventurous.”

What usually surprises people about you?

“When I was a kid my parents forced salsa dancing on me, I picked it up again in France on my year abroad and I have some wicked salsa skills.”

How do you stay in shape?

“As part of the TA (Territorial Army) keeping in shape is a must and with them I do lots of circuits and runs. I also love lifting weights in the gym and can currently bench around 100KG comfortably.”

Sum up your university experience so far in a phrase:

“My experience at university has been absolutely fantastic, I have met so many people from so many different backgrounds, and life here has given me so many opportunities…including a luxurious paid holiday to Miami!”

Where is your favourite place to hang out in Norwich?

“It’s not really a hang out place, but if I had to choose somewhere in Norwich it would be the Wine Cellar restaurant. Their wines are second to none and their roasted duck breast starter is the best thing I’ve ever eaten.”

What is your best UEA memory so far?

“My best UEA memory is going to my first Fresher’s week back in 2011, I was very shy back then but got to know people very quickly and in my drug addled daze I met jack Whitehall in the toilets of a local club.”

Where did you go on your year abroad?

“I spent 4 months in Nice in the south of France, (best wine ever) and I went to Guadalajara in Mexico for five months afterwards.”

What was the highlight of your year abroad?

“The highlight of my year abroad was going on a road trip with housemates in Mexico; I got to see Mexico at its best and got to navigate through some stunning scenery. I also got to drive over a metre high speed bump at 45 miles an hour, fun times!”

What are your plans for after uni?

“Being a part of the TA I either want to join the RAF (Royal Air Force) or join the regular army as an officer, which of course, involves more cooler uniforms.”

Jen is a French and International Development student in her final year at University of East Anglia and an aspiring magazine editor. She is an active member of campus social life and when she is not writing future online content or updating her fashion and lifestyle blog, you will find her in Topshop or any cafe that serves tea and cake, reading tonnes of the latest fashion magazines.