HC UEA Campus Celebrity: Jenna Chapman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UEA chapter.

This week we caught up with Jenna Chapman: UEA pharmacy student, philanthropist and one of the key organisers of UEA’s Take Me Out event last Monday. The evening raised lots of money for charity with the aim of pairing couples through a number of rounds where girls pop their balloons if they are unimpressed by the bachelor in question.

Chapman is raising money for the children’s charity ‘Childreach International’and she is even travelling to Tanzania this summer to work on a school construction and improvement project.

We sat down with Jenna to find out a little more:

Name: Jenna Chapman

Degree: Pharmacy

Hometown: Medway

Describe yourself in three words: “Determined, Friendly, Enthusiastic.”

Favourite UEA memory:

“On my birthday all my flatmates threw me a surprise birthday party and then we went out to the LCR. Hot Dogs + Vodka is always a winner.”

We loved UEA Take me out last week, tell us a bit about it:

“After selling out in less than 24 hours we had high hopes and we felt it went just as it should have. We wouldn’t have been able to do it without the volunteers that helped build the event, not to mention Jonty (the presenter).”

It must have been difficult to plan, what was the hardest part?

“Putting everything away afterwards, moving 500 chairs is always tough under a time limit, especially when half the people helping you have had a few drinks throughout the show!”

Which charity are you raising money for through Take me out?

“Childreach International.”

Tell us a bit more about the charity and what you’re doing:

“It’s a community based charity, we shall be going out to Tanzania to help build a school, but as well as that we are ensuring the children there have the means of nutritional meals every lunchtime not just whilst we’re there, but also long after we’ve left. It’s sort of like we’re giving the fisherman the rod and the fish, if that makes sense?”

How can people get involved/ donate or help you?

“People can donate to the charity directly or, if they want to specifically help our Big Build Project they can go to:  https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/jennachapman1 or Facebook Message me if they want to know more about what we do/want to get involved in future events.”

What are your plans for the future?

“People can definitely keep an eye/ear out for our future fundraising events, we haven’t got anything set in stone yet but there will definitely be some events to get people excited!” 

Jen is a French and International Development student in her final year at University of East Anglia and an aspiring magazine editor. She is an active member of campus social life and when she is not writing future online content or updating her fashion and lifestyle blog, you will find her in Topshop or any cafe that serves tea and cake, reading tonnes of the latest fashion magazines.