HC UEA Campus Celebrity: Florence Welch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UEA chapter.

Today marks the start of BBC Radio 1’s Big Weekend in Norwich and who better to be this week’s HC UEA Campus Celebrity than today’s festival headliner, Florence Welch.

Florence is the lead singer of the indie rock band ‘Florence and the Machine’ along with a collaboration of other musicians. The band was formed in London in 2007 with their debut studio album ‘Lungs’ being an immediate success. With the album’s hits ‘You’ve got the Love’ and ‘Dog Days Are Over’ and later triumphs such as ‘Spectrum (Say My Name)’ and ‘Shake It Out’, it is unsurprising that the band has won two Brit Awards and multiple Grammy nominations. Her Campus UEA were thrilled when we discovered that Florence and the Machine would be headlining at the most anticipated Norwich event of the year but it was unsurprising to many. The BBC supposedly played a prominent role in Florence and the Machine’s success, making her potential appearance a probability and the fact that Welch has familial connections to the University only made it all the more likely.

With her hipster looks and her vintage tastes, Florence truly symbolizes the ‘UEA girl’ and as humble as she is talented, the ravishing red-head is renowned for being a down to earth and kind person. With Florence headlining this morning, there is no doubt why the majority of the UEA student body flocked to Earlham Park today. The band’s performance was incredible and the reaction that they got from the crowd was amazing to witness.

Thank you for coming to visit our fine city Florence and please come back soon, you’ve truly ‘got the love’ of all UEA students.

Jen is a French and International Development student in her final year at University of East Anglia and an aspiring magazine editor. She is an active member of campus social life and when she is not writing future online content or updating her fashion and lifestyle blog, you will find her in Topshop or any cafe that serves tea and cake, reading tonnes of the latest fashion magazines.