This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UEA chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, the date that divides those who are single and those who are taken. For too long singletons have been stigmatised on February 14th, unable to enjoy a meal out without pitiful stares and unable to curl up with a movie and some popcorn without having your newsfeed bombarded with photos of the romantic night that you ‘should’ be having.

This year, a new phenomenon has swept the nation: Galentine’s Day, an opportunity to celebrate being single rather than commiserate it, and why not? We’re young, we’re free and we don’t need a guy to tell us we’re special. Yes, Valentine’s Day is a great day to spend with a partner but why not celebrate being young, beautiful and having nothing holding you back. As amazing as relationships are, do not underestimate the liberties of life as a single girl and the ability to spend all night with your girls, whether you’ll be watching romantic comedies in your jammies with face masks or out on the town with cheesy chips.

Boyfriends come and go but your girlies are in it for the long haul, so hold them close this Valentine’s Day because they will always be there no matter what and to put it frankly, girl power is the greatest.

Put those student loans to good use this Galentine’s Day, don your sexiest dress and go out with your girlfriends for a cosmo and celebrate being young, beautiful and free.

Jen is a French and International Development student in her final year at University of East Anglia and an aspiring magazine editor. She is an active member of campus social life and when she is not writing future online content or updating her fashion and lifestyle blog, you will find her in Topshop or any cafe that serves tea and cake, reading tonnes of the latest fashion magazines.