The Five Best Sunbathing Spots in Norwich

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UEA chapter.

Thank goodness it’s May collegiettes! The sun is finally shining in Norwich meaning only one thing…it is finally sunbathing season. Weather really comes in extremes in this fine city: in winter it snows like crazy and during summer expect scorching heat. Seeing as sun is a rare luxury in England and we would all kill for a natural tan, the HC UEA team have compiled a list of the best sunbathing spots in Norwich to ensure that you are all guaranteed a free grassy spot where you can relax, revise and socialise in the sun.

UEA Lake

UEA is obviously the ideal place to sunbathe as it has great plains of grass, big trees to provide shade and plenty of BBQs to grill your picnics on. The fact that this sunbathing spot is on campus only makes it more appealing, being just five minutes away from anything you need at UEA: Smoothies, the UEA ice-cream van, toilets, the library – anything. 

Earlham Park

This beautiful park is adjacent to the University of East Anglia, situated in the west of the city, making it’s 88 natural acres of open grassland an ideal place to sunbathe. As the largest event park in the city, Earlham has plenty of space, toilet facilities and a great café. It’s true appeal though is the events that are held there with this summer BBC Radio 1s Big Weekend confirming the park as its location.

Chapelfield Gardens

This formal park is not only beautiful but is situated in the perfect location, in the heart of the city in walking distance from the city’s best shops and car parks. Chapelfield Gardens has a café, toilet facilities and even a band stand, beware though – due to it’s prime position, these gardens are often a meeting point for political protests, promotions and not to mention weekly fun runs.

Eaton Park

Eaton Park is not only historic, but also a large sports park with facilities including a bandstand, toilets and several cafes. Its key attraction however is the amount of gorgeous guys playing football, providing something nice to look at whilst sunbathing.

Waterloo Park

Waterloo Park is a picturesque and formal green just two miles from the city centre. The facilities include a stage area, a bandstand, toilets and even a pavilion where music and arts events are often held, providing some entertainment.

So when you have a day off or need a bit of fresh air, grab your girlies, some smoothies and either some revision notes or a big glossy magazine and head to one of these sunbathing spots. Just make sure that you tan in moderation collegiettes and that you keep hydrated and apply sun cream regularly – it’s not only for your health but also to preserve that bronzing of yours!

Happy Tanning Collegiettes!

Jen is a French and International Development student in her final year at University of East Anglia and an aspiring magazine editor. She is an active member of campus social life and when she is not writing future online content or updating her fashion and lifestyle blog, you will find her in Topshop or any cafe that serves tea and cake, reading tonnes of the latest fashion magazines.