YOU Season 4: What to Expect from the Latest Teaser

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD 

The latest teaser for the hit Netflix show YOU dropped on September 14 during Netflix’s global TUDUM event. Season 4 is split into two parts, with Part 1 dropping on 10 February 2023 and Part 2 dropping exactly a month later on March 10. The one-and-a-half-minute video teaser sees Penn Badgley narrate as Joe Goldberg – main character and resident serial killer.  

Season 4 sees Joe Goldberg with a new identity in the form of Professor Jonathan Moore, now living in London saying that he’s “gone through a bit of refinement since crossing the pond”. With a new name and a new location, the new season is bound to be jam-packed with entertainment (and murder). With a new transformation, Joe, now Jonathan, narrates, “I’m not the lovable bookstore manager in New York or the shop clerk in LA or the doting husband in the suburbs.” The teaser has given us just enough new information to get us intrigued for the new season.  

For a bit of a recap, season 3 saw Joe and wife Love Quinn move into the suburb of Madre Linda in California in an attempt to make a happy family work with new baby Henry. However, Joe goes back to his old ways and begins to obsess over and fall in love with his co-worker Marienne from the library. As the season continues, Love plans to kill Joe after discovering he is in love with Marienne. However, in the most surprising murder of the show, Joe beats her to it and kills Love first. The season ends with Joe leaving son Henry on the doorstep of Dante, a colleague from the library. The cliff-hanger last scene of season 3 shows Joe now in Paris looking for Marienne. Despite Joe probably not being the best father ever, fans have wondered if the show will show anything of Henry back in California or if ‘Jonathan’ will fully leave everything of his old life behind.  

The teaser also shows a host of new characters such as Nadia (Amy-Leigh Hickman), Kate (Charlotte Ritchie), Rhys (Ed Speleers), Phoebe (Tilly Keeper), Adam (Lukas Gage), Simon (Aidan Cheng), Sophie (Niccy Lin), Gemma (Eve Austin), Connie (Dario Coates) and Blessing (Ozioma Whenu). We also see that Marienne, played by Tati Gabrielle, will be returning. The integration of new British actors plays very nicely into the new location for season 4. With season 3 ending with Joe in Paris, it will be very interesting to see what Jonathan makes of London. The show is known for introducing new characters and killing some off in the same single season when they get “in the way”.  

With a new identity and having seemingly left no trace of his old identity and life behind, season 4 of YOU is shaping up to be a very fascinating continuation of the life of serial killer Joe Goldberg, releasing February and March of next year. 

Sarah has recently finished her fourth year at the University of Cape Town focusing her postgraduate honours degree in Linguistics. She completed her undergraduate in 2021 with a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Linguistics, English Literature and Media Studies. She enjoys learning languages and writing, as well as sitcoms and technology.