Celina Timmerman-Oversized Tshirt And Cup
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

You Don’t Need Talent To Pursue New Hobbies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

“What are your favourite hobbies?”; “Do you have any hobbies?”; “What is it you enjoy doing during your free time?” I’m pretty sure, at some point in our lives, we’ve all been asked at least one of these questions before, whether it be through a formal interview, someone you’ve just met who is interested in getting to know you better, or whether you have somehow found yourself answering an online questionnaire to find out which supernatural creature you are (ps. turns out I’m a werewolf). How often do we find ourselves having to really think about what our hobbies are? Or perhaps, more accurately, how often do we find ourselves thinking about what the socially desirable response would be? If one were to consider a number of the most common hobbies, the most revered would either fall under the category of sport, strategy, art or voluntary work and even though these are wonderful hobbies to find yourself engaged in, most if not all of them, require some sort of skill or natural talent.  

Hobbies, in general, are meant to be fun and recreational activities you engage in for the sake of pleasure, as a way to relax during your leisure time or as a way to calm yourself after a stressful day. They’re hardly ever done as a profession or as a way to earn money – and certainly do not require one to be particularly talented. We’re not all multi-potentialites, that is, we don’t all need to be skilled at every single thing we do. Below is a list of the top five hobbies that are not only guaranteed to kill your boredom but require zero talent or skill at all.

Reading

Reading is a great way to simply escape reality, slip into a magical world created just for you and to allow yourself to be absolutely carried away by the author’s imagination. So, whether it’s fiction or non-fiction, Wattpad or an actual book, a magazine or newspaper – spend your free time reading whatever makes you happy.

Ps. Fiction novels are best enjoyed on a rainy day with a hot cup of coffee.

Watching TV

If you’re not much of a reader, watching TV is a great way to escape reality too. Be it a spine-chilling horror, a sweet, but silly, romcom or even an exciting Netflix series – grab some snacks and get comfy. 

Sleeping

It may not seem like much of a hobby but, after a long tiring day at school, work or university, sometimes the best way to rejuvenate yourself is through a well-deserved nap. So, kick off your shoes, throw yourself into bed and sleep the stress away.

Spending time with family

Spending some quality time with your family is a great way to not only relax, but to foster in (perhaps if it was long overdue) a valuable bonding experience.

Working out

In your lounge or in your back yard, pull on some sweats and start working out. Nothing too excessive, perhaps a few simple stretches or you could even set your own routine – but get active. Not only is exercising seen as one of the greatest stress relievers but it keeps you looking and feeling amazing.

These are only a few of the no-talent-required range of hobbies. The list goes on, from going shopping to socializing with friends or browsing around online. So, next time you’re asked, “What are your favourite hobbies,” don’t be shy to say you enjoy binge watching anime series until two in the morning or that you wouldn’t mind taking the time to complete a questionnaire on what flavour of cupcake you’d be. Turns out, I’m carrot flavoured. 

Sweet, right?

Third year UCT English Literature and Psychology student. Anime fan and aspiring novelist.