Copy of How She Got There Heropng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Copy of How She Got There Heropng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Ree from Pexels
Wellness

Work and Wellbeing: Online/Physically Distanced Learning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

You know you have reached the climactic period of the academic semester when to-do lists are getting longer, assignment deadlines are approaching and despite preoccupying your mind with work twenty-four seven, there still seems to be just not enough time. Here are a few suggestions to implement in your schedule to make the most out of the time you have and maximise your efforts:

Manage screen time

We all know how difficult this is and how many times we’ve heard it. 

Mindfulness is helpful to become aware of how automatically you reach for your phone, be it clicking on Instagram or Whatsapp, you will be able to have more control over the hours you lend to screens. Next, make a list of off-screen tasks you enjoy. This could be journaling, playing with your dog, chatting to someone nearby or taking a breath of fresh air outside. In your study or work breaks, turn to the activities on this list, rather than automatically reaching for your phone. 

It is worthwhile mastering the discipline of minimising screen time as it filters into several areas of your wellbeing: not only does it potentially increase the time you spend on your work, but research shows that having this discipline reduces blue light which results in better sleep, according to Healthline

Online writing groups are a great way to stay motivated

This is where several people get together for two to three hours, set their goals for that time, work on it and feed back to the group at the end. It is the virtual equivalent of sitting in the library or at a café, as it offers a similar opportunity for community and accountability, especially when your camera is on, and you can see others that are working. You can easily start one yourself or take up the idea with a leadership member, such as a class representative to initiate it. 

A certain amount of procrastination may be inevitable

Number 3 takes this reality into account. There are several Youtubers such as Holly Gabrielle whose channels are motivated to studying, planning, productivity – and no, the videos are not like those boring study skills self-help books. Holly’s videos are realistic, balanced, and inspiring. She practically shows how she implements these in her own life. Jack Edwards and Ruby Granger engage with a variety of similar topics such as book reviews and challenging morning routines. If you’re going to use the internet in your breaks, this may be a worthwhile way of doing it since you will certainly be left motivated to get back to work.  

Go for a walk. Sit in the garden. Water your plants.

According to a study by Roger Ulrich, being in natural environments, whether it’s entering a forest, garden or simply surrounding yourself with plants has been proven to lift your mood. Natalie Ricci, in her thesis drawing on Ulrich’s work, goes as far as saying having an image of trees up in your room could work to improve your mood too. Nature’s energising effect should be optimised in between your study schedule or working on assignments, or maybe try working outdoors!

Stay connected with your peers, classmates, friends, and family

Sharing experiences becomes a meaningful resource for support. It is inevitable to be demotivated and feel isolated when the majority of your contact with other students is online. Feeling overwhelmed may be a sign that it is time to reach out for help from family members, friends or even a counsellor that will be able to offer you support.

Online learning, and even a mixture of online with some face-to-face classes, can be challenging. This is your reminder to stay connected, maintain a healthy routine and not be too hard on yourself – as cliché as it sounds, once you have put in all the effort you could, you have tried your best. As Thomas Edison once said, “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up.”

Sameeah is currently studying her honours in English. Aside from literature, she is passionate about architecture, design and sewing. As a young entrepreneur she sews clothing to order and various vegan/vegetarian food items under her brand Mog & Milo.