jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Hello. My name is Caroline, and I extended my degree.

Caroline

To be honest, I had to unlearn so many preconceived notions when it came to extended degrees. So much so, that I still sometimes struggle to say the opening line of this article.

For some context: I started my university career incredibly strong. First and second year were a breeze. I’ve been on the Dean’s List every year since I started university and I’m a part of the Golden Key Society – meaning I’m in the top 15% in my field of study. So, it was a massive shock to myself, my peers, and my parents when I told them I’d be extending my degree. Initially, I just decided to extend my degree to make room for an extra major, leaving me with a robust, triple major at the end of my time at UCT. I decided that journalism really was my dream so I took a step back and filtered into a second-year specialised journalism stream whilst in my third year. I accepted the fact that I’d graduate at the end of my fourth year of study, instead of the usual 3-year-structure for a general Bachelor of Arts.

However, that’s not where the story ends. I experienced a massive mental breakdown at the end of my third year in 2018. My plan was to finish off the other two majors I was working on, get them out of the way, and just use my fourth year to do the single journalism course. But things didn’t go to plan. For mental health reasons, I couldn’t finish my two other majors: the courses that I had been slaying for the past three years. I was heartbroken; devastated. I had an opportunity to finish them because of lovely, lenient lecturers but I decided I needed some time off and pushed those last two courses to my fourth year. I had an extra year planned already, so why not? And let me tell you: it was the best decision I could’ve made to heal myself and recoup after a semester that broke me and my health. At the end of 2018, I couldn’t even identify with myself. I was ashamed and felt like a failure. Now, however, I understand that taking that extra year literally saved my life and my academics. I’m more myself now than I ever have been in past three years.

I asked a few other UCT students what their reasons were for extending their degrees. Here’s what each of them had to say:

Caitlin, Science Faculty

I made the decision to extend my degree 20 minutes into my Oceanography supplementary, after reading the 10th question I knew couldn’t answer. I packed up my things and just walked out the door. I cried all the way home. Then I burnt all my notes, tuts and failed tests and breathed a sigh of relief. Taking an extra year was so important for my physical and mental health. Admittedly, it has been hard to watch my friends and former colleagues in their honours classes whilst I do my second third year, with quickly diminishing motivation. I don’t regret my choice, and I’m so grateful for the free time that the EDP gave me – time I needed to work on myself, my passions and my relationships. Less academic pressure meant less constant anxiety and more walks in the forest, therapy sessions and time with my dog. The important realisation I had is that everyone accomplishes things in their own time, based on their own circumstances. Allow yourself the freedom to change, breathe and grow.

Image by Richard Winter Photography

James, Humanities Faculty

Originally when I registered at UCT I applied for LLB but was recommended to do a combined stream program since it would increase my chances. Being the little fresh-out-of-high-school over achiever that I was, I decided that it was a great idea and registered for a BSocSci. In 2nd year I ended up getting excluded because I missed the requirements to continue with Law. After a period of hopelessness and regret for potentially wasting a year of my life, I checked with the campus officials on the reapplication procedure and was recommended to reapply for postgraduate law once I’ve finished an undergrad and by the time I get there I might change my mind or find a different career path. So, if anything, this was a blessing. I didn’t really see that at the time and was in quite a bad depressive spiral so my psychologist recommended taking a Leave of Absence to take time away from campus and re-evaluate my options after some time away. I applied to extend my BSocSci undergrad and take Leave of Absence on the grounds of poor mental health. I ended up going to London and lived there, country hopping, working wherever I could. I ended up really enjoying my time away from South Africa and managed to have an amazing experience with different cultures and meeting new people around Europe. When I came back to UCT, I was filled with this newfound motivation – just like in first year. The year away from campus taught me amazing coping mechanisms and newfound ways of managing my mental health as I had to cope with the stresses of living independently and being financially responsible.

James

Ayesha, Humanities Faculty

I extended my degree by default because I failed my entire second year and had to redo it into my third year, having only passed half of my second-year major courses. My mental health took a bad turn and I really had to grapple with the fact that I wouldn’t be graduating with the rest of my class. Hindsight, it was best for me and I’m glad it all happened. I feel like I’m at the right place at the right time.

Ayesha

Kate, Humanities Faculty

I’m currently doing a Multimedia Production degree, which means that I have very little space for other electives. However, before I got into that degree I was doing Psychology, which I absolutely loved. During second year there was enough time to do both, but this year it just hasn’t been possible. So, I extended my degree by a year – this year I’m only doing Media and Production courses, and I’ll complete those majors, and then next year I’ll be able to do only Psych courses. By extending my degree I can accommodate the extra major and allow myself enough time to be able to do it all well; it has been one of the best academic decisions I have ever made.

Kate

Aidan, Commerce Faculty

In your second year of Business Science Finance with Accounting you do your first Finance course. To move onto your second finance course, you must achieve a course mark of 60%. I did not achieve this course mark so I had to repeat the course if I wanted to graduate with this degree. The course, however, is done in second semester so to repeat the course it sets your degree back by a year. In my fourth-year I then missed another sub minimum of 60% for Financial Reporting 2, which I missed by 3% in the entrance exam. This was the worst feeling as I was so close to passing the course and moving on. This 3% set me back by another whole year and I had to write the entrance exam at the end of the next year. However, I did pass Financial Reporting 2 the second time I did it. I wasn’t focused enough the first time I wrote it and I never spent enough time on the content when it was necessary. It’s been tough seeing friends go past me and now work. This is a process I am constantly dealing with but I remind myself regularly that this is my own journey and that when I have my degree that will be the most important thing.

Aidan

Caroline works at one of South Africa's top magazines while also finishes off her triple major in Multimedia Production, Media & Writing, and Film Studies at UCT. Caroline  is passionate about finding fantastic, everyday people's stories, collaborating with kick-ass women, and all things lifestyle journalism. Caroline is an intersectional feminist, yogi, and is always looking to learn something new.