This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Womxn’s Day is a South African public holiday set aside to celebrate and remember the 1956 march of 20,000 womxn to the Union Buildings in Pretoria in order to end the repressive legislation that forced people of colour and Black South Africans to carry a ‘pass’. The best and only way to celebrate Womxn’s Day is over good food and cold drinks with the most incredible people you know… and people you don’t.

Here are a few places in and around Cape Town doing the most for womxn on this special day.

1. Cape Town, Artscape Theatre presents ‘Great Gospel Night Out’.

The event aims at celebrating all womxn of Gospel locally and internationally. Gospel music is one of the oldest forms of praising God and we all know God is a womxn.

Venue: The Artscape Theatre

Duration: 140 minutes long.

Cost: R100- R250.

Ticket Vendor: Computicket 

2. Totalsport’s Women’s Race

Totalsports have paired up with the Pink Drive, a non-profit organisation who tries to improve breast cancer awareness and education across South Africa. This is a great organisation and a fun way to cross off exercise for the rest of the year! There are 3 different races with 2 distances: a 10km race for licenced runners, a 10km race for unlicensed runners, and a 5km race. 

Venue: The Grand Parade, CBD.

Cost: R120 (licensed runners), R155 (unlicensed runners) and R80 for the 5km race. Prices include a T-shirt and a finisher’s bracelet.

For more information: www.totalsportswomensrace.com

3. ‘Empower Me’ Womxn’s Day Lunch at Shimmy Beach Club.

The lunch will have strong and influential womxn from different industries speaking about their jobs and their place in the world as womxn. Why not gather with some power and influential womxn while getting the best selfies?

Cost: R450 per person (includes canapes, a 2 course lunch, complimentary drinks, the talk and wonderful gift bags).

Time: 11am – 4pm.

Dress code: White with a touch of Gold.

For more information about the event and tickets visit: www.Shimmy.nutickets.co.za

4. Cape Caprice presents ‘A Goddess Luncheon’.

This 3 course luncheon will be filled with great food and even better company. Guest speakers like Tracey-Lee will be speaking at the event about Womxnhood, Womxn in the workplace and so much more. This is a great place for different womxn to come together over food to collectively create, inspire and encourage one another and don’t forget about the food and drinks guys..come on!

Cost: R280 from Webtickets. Price includes a  generous gift bag which will include holistic and organic products.

For more information: Cape Caprice on Facebook

5. The Bakery at Jordan Wine Estate in Stellenbosch.

The Petite Four High Tea offers the most delicate treats which you can pair with delicious hot beverages of your choice.Enjoy these amazing treats under the big trees overlooking the pond with the people you love most and the most amazing Womxn in your life.  

Cost: R80 per person

Time: 11am- 4:30pm.

For more information: contact 021 881 3441 or email thebakery@jordanwines.com

These are only a few places doing big things to celebrate South African womxn. Be sure to celebrate your Womxn’s Day the right way!

I am a fourth year student, studying Film and Media Specializing in Screenwriting