This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

If you told me two years ago that I’d be packing up and heading off to a strange new country all alone for 4 months, I would’ve laughed out loud. Me, do something as crazy as that? I could never… And yet, last September, I hugged my family and friend’s goodbye, and walked through the airport doors – ready for a semester exchange in California, where I didn’t know a single soul.

Little did I know those 4 months would be the best time of my life.

Perhaps it was the knowledge that this experience was only temporary, but my whole outlook on life changed during my time in America. It gave me more happiness and a greater appreciation for being alive than I’d ever had before.

Here are a few of the things that I learnt unexpectedly during my travels:

Say yes more.

These few months gave me countless opportunities to try new things, and I refused to let my anxiety hold me back. I decided to say yes to as many things as I could, not closing myself off to new people, places and adventures! This mindset brought me close to amazing individuals and made my days a lot more fun! Instead of having a stressful self-inflicted schedule, I went to on more friend dates, swam in the ocean at any time of the day (and night!), went road tripping and even jumped out of an airplane! Life felt like a kind of simulation, because everything was so temporary – but bringing that same mindset back home has helped me remain appreciative of what every day has to offer and remaining open to new experiences.

As I say now, if I would’ve said yes in America, let me say yes now.

It’s not difficult to make friends.

I was terrified that I would be lonely and friendless during my exchange semester, that maybe I wouldn’t get along with my roommates and that I would miss my home. Things couldn’t have been more different. I realized that people are much nicer than I give them credit for, and a simple smile and compliment could bond two people like I couldn’t believe. Saying yes also makes it so much easier to create friendships, as well as great memories along the way.

Not everyone is going to like you.

That being said, not everyone you meet is going to click with you, and that’s okay. People have different values, concerns and upbringings which may not align with yours, but just remember that their opinion of you is their own problem, and you don’t have to take it to heart. Be kind and civil, and if people are going to be unpleasant, then that’s on them.

Stick to creating friendships with those who value and respect you and understand that everyone is so different… you can’t please them all.

Take pictures.

Don’t worry about looking like a silly tourist or Instagram influencer, just take the picture! I used to be so worried that I was annoying people by posting too many pictures on my story, until I realized – who cares? Pictures are a form of art and a way to keep memories for life, so snap away!

Being independent is wonderful.

Yes, being alone and having to take complete care of yourself is scary, but it opens up the whole world. If you want to eat pop tarts for dinner each night – go ahead, although you’ll learn soon enough it won’t make you feel that great, but that’s the beauty of it – you learn through trying. You have to become responsible for your own well-being, budgeting and balance of work and play, and it’s kind of a fun process to undertake.

You’ll grow as a person.

Traveling alone gives you a lot of time to be with yourself and learn about what worries you and what makes you happy. It forces you outside of your comfort zone, to experience things you may never have thought of. You have to face challenges head on, ready to overcome them, because there’s no one to fall back to. It sounds overwhelming, but you will come out on the other side with so much strength and confidence. I thought my anxiety would bring me down during this exchange, but these four months ended up being the most stress-free time I can remember.

You’ll be forever grateful

My exchange semester gave me so much gratitude, for traveling, for my home, for nature and so much more! I saw life through a new lens, and realized how great overseas can be, but how amazing my home is too. I am so grateful that UCT offers this opportunity. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that changed who I am as a person.

If you’re interested in studying abroad, I highly recommend you apply for a semester of exchange! Get in contact with the International Academics Programme Office at UCT to learn more – it may just change your life.

A 22-year-old girl just trying to find her place in the world.