sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A ‘Traditional’ Sunday Funday in the Mother City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Cape Town, in the summer, is a true sight to behold. While we all sit with our study groups or in a library cubicle biting off our fingernails, the thought of weekends filled with sunkissed skin and ice-cold drinks fill our souls with just enough energy to get through the final stretch of exams.

I bring you a list of fun and sublime enjoyment for you, and whoever you wish, to spend your long summer Sundays with. With no university, Monday becomes our new Sunday, so why not spend Sunday as if the universe granted you with a second Saturday?!

Signal Hill

Find yourself with your favourite people, eating good food and sipping on lekker drinks while watching the sunset. It is absolutely beautiful and we all know Cape Town offers the best sunsets in the world. #fact

Food, Food, Food

Every month there are new restaurants and cafes opening up, in and around Cape Town. Try and be more adventurous with trying new and old places like Rick’s Café Americain, Eastern Food Bazaar or I Love The Dough. There are so many great places out there that offer great food and even greater experiences.

Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concerts

Sunday’s are made for music. So, why not spend your lazy Sunday picnicking and listening to great music? Kirstenbosch offers you great live artists and bands from in and around South Africa. The ticket prices range from R170-R220, which won’t break that student budget. There are a wide range of artists from Goldfish, Mi Casa, Good Luck, Kwesta, AKA and more. Concert season starts on the 17 November 2019, till 29 March 2020, giving you more than enough time to get your booty to Kirstenbosch.

The Red Tour Bus

I, for one, can honestly admit that one of the best ways to see and explore all of Cape Town is by the Red Tour Buses. With over 50 stops at Cape Town’s best attractions, is there anything better? You can choose from various packages such as the Canal or Harbour Cruise, a Sunset Bus Tour or a 2-day Bus Tour package. Packages range from R140-R400, so you have no excuses kids!

Grape Stomping a.k.a. Wine Tasting

The Constantia Route offers wine drinkers a variety of great farms from Steenberg Wine Estate to Klein Constantia. Everyone will find a wine to fall in love with, or get tipsy while trying.

La Parada Sundays

La Parada has become the spot to be at on a Sunday afternoon, with DJ Rene playing those delectable hits that your body can’t help but groove to. La Parada Constantia Nek is the best spot for those who are keen to have a little razzle-dazzle before the sun goes down. They also included an inside dance floor area for those who wish to continue the party.

Hiking

I mean who doesn’t like waking up at 5am to watch the sunrise at the top of Lion’s Head or Elephants Eye? If you are someone who enjoys this kind of activity, there are MANY places around Cape Town where you can lace up those non-hiking sneakers and hit the trails with dedication and rewarding, breath-taking views.

Bike Rides on Sea Point Promenade

The company Up Cycles offers tourists and locals a chance to explore Sea Point, The Waterfront and the Camps Bay area in a fun and creative way. The prices range from R75 (for an hour) to R275 (from the morning until sunset) and is family friendly, as you can hire a baby chair for an extra R100. Bring everyone, young and old (not too old, it’s bad for the knees), and enjoy a day out in the sun.

Markets

Great food, great music, great drinks, great people – can you ask for anything more? Check out the Hout Bay Market (9:30am – 4pm), Mojo Market (8am- 11pm) and the Blue Bird Garage in Muizenberg (11am-4pm). If you feel like a bit of a drive there is always Route 44 (9am- 4pm) out in Stellenbosch.

Camps Bay Strip

Beaches and lively restaurants equal the appeal of Camps Bay. Whether you’re into laying out on the beach in the sun all afternoon with your friends, or grabbing a bite to eat at The Hard Rock Café – Camps Bay offers something for everyone. As the sun begins to set, you will find our local friendly establishment, Café Caprice, being the place where your drinks become stronger and the music louder. One of the best places to end off your Sunday.

There you go, 10 incredible things to do in and around the city on a Sunday. Your Sunday’s will never be the same again… You can count on that! 

I am a fourth year student, studying Film and Media Specializing in Screenwriting