This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Calling all Kardashian lovers and those who love to hate-watch them…

THE KARDASHIANS ARE BACK BABY!

The family’s new Hulu show, The Kardashians, is set to premiere on 14 April 2022. We are just over two weeks away from having them on our screens once again. Hallelujah!

The family’s OG show Keeping Up With The Kardashians (KUWTK) first aired in October 2007 on E! Network, launching the family into stardom and allowing us mere mortals into their world for 14 years. The show also spawned an extensive list of spin-offs focusing on almost all individual family members – the much-beloved Miami, New York and Hamptons series featuring Kourtney and Kim/Khloé, Life of Kylie, Khloé and Lamar, I am Cait, Rob and Chyna, Flip it Like Disick and my personal favourite Dash Dolls. Shockingly, the show announced it would come to an end in September 2020 when Kim herself took to Instagram to confirm the conclusion of the show after its 20th season, posting a throwback photo of the series’ original title card (RIP). However, it was not long after the announcement of the show’s ending that it was announced that the family would be collaborating with streaming platform Hulu in the near future for a new show with the family “like we’ve never seen before.”

The decision was a result of certain family members being allegedly unhappy with the incessant narratives projected on them by the show and poorly this projected their personal character, and consequently, how audiences viewed them. For others, including the show’s audience, plotlines of the reality show felt gimmicky and lacked substance – especially for filler scenes that were included because certain aspects of the family’s personal lives weren’t filled due to privacy concerns. On top of that, the family, always keeping with the times, discussed in their recent interview with Variety that it made no sense to continue filming on network cable television when streaming has taken off so much in recent years. So, for them, it only made sense to end the series in its 20th season and take on an innovative approach with the help of streaming platforms, like Hulu. Not to mention that the money the family will be acquiring from a multi-year contract with one of the world’s top streaming platforms could certainly have helped sway the family away from the restrictions of traditional cable network.

That brings us, dear reader, to the exciting part of this article, where we get to discuss the new Hulu show! The Kardashians series trailer dropped on 14 March 2022 – a month out from its premiere date and also, conveniently, the same day that Kim launched ‘Skims Swim’ and called out her ex-husband in a comment on his profile amid their public divorce feuds. The trailer sent fans and the internet (me) into a spiral with the number of content glimpses we got. The trailer release confirms to us viewers that this new show will indeed show us the Kardashian-Jenner family in a new light and, most strikingly, with a new aesthetic. There’s a big shift in production quality between the new Hulu show and the original series, portraying the family in a new, improved almost documentary style of filming. This comes as a result of the image shift the Kardashians have seemingly taken in recent years. This is highlighted by a changing narrative which focuses in on family member’s respective business ventures – from Skims to Kendall’s new tequila brand and most recently even Kourtney’s new zeal for entrepreneurship with her lifestyle business Poosh. Indeed, the type of content we expect to receive leans towards a more authentic and personal, a more candid look into their world and the behind the scenes moments than we’ve seen on the E! show.

After months of speculation, fans can expect to see a wide range of content of the family being shown – from insight into the Kimye divorce and her new relationship with Pete Davidson to Kylie’s 2nd pregnancy journey and first filmed one, to Khloé’s ever-irritating back and forth relationship with Tristan to most excitingly (in my opinion) Kourtney’s engagement with Travis Barker, their plans to wed and to have a baby together! (!!!!) Fans of the show will also be pleased to know that Lord Disick himself will be gracing our screens once again and providing us with more of the one-liners we’ve been enjoying since season one of the old show. That being said, we will also be keeping our eyes peeled for any content where Disick (Kourtney’s ex-partner and father of her kids) will be interacting on screen with Travis Barker, especially after private messages sent by Disick to one of Kourtney’s previous partners were publicised where he critiqued and showed his disapproval for Kravis’ notorious PDA.

One thing about the Kardashians? Even when we expect them to stop, they surprise by being the gift that keeps on giving. So, make a note on your calendars: 14 April 2022, turn on your post-notifications for the family members so you never miss a trailer drop and, most importantly, stay with me as we try and keep up with this dashing new show.

3rd year BA student at UCT from Cape Town, SA . She/Her/Hers