The Essential Spring/Summer Film List!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Here are the latter half of 2021’s most exciting upcoming films – you’re guaranteed to find one that matches your mood and piques your interest.

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings 

Director: Destin Daniel Cretton

Cast: Simu Liu, Awkwafina, Fala Chen

Genre: Superhero, action-adventure 

Synopsis: Martial arts aficionado Shang Chi battles the sinister Ten Rings in this feel-good, laugher-filled summer blockbuster.

The Shot That Attracted Me To This Film: There’s an epic, highly kinetic action sequence in a bus that is practically bottled serotonin for action lovers.

Who’ll love this film: Action lovers, Marvel fans, Martial arts fans

The Green Knight

Director: David Lowery

Cast: Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander

Genre: Fantasy, adventure

Synopsis: Based on the Arthurian tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, this film retells the travails and adventures of the Sir Gawain, a knight under King Arthur in medieval England, who must battle the seeming undefeatable Green Knight.

The Shot That Attracted Me To This Film: This is a little grizzly, but in one shot the Green Knight – who’s just been decapitated – opens his eyes and we’re struck by a close up shot of his gnarled, wooden (and yes, green) countenance. Terrifying!

Who’ll love this film: Fantasy lovers, indie film enthusiasts, anyone who likes a period drama

Last Night in Soho

Director: Edgar Wright

Cast: Thomasin Mackenzie, Anya Taylor-Joy, Matt Smith  

Genre: Horror, phycological thriller

Synopsis: When Eloise is offered a chance to travel back in time, her newfound ability seems like a charm – until she realises that she may have gained far more than she’s bargained – a sinister sort of more.

The Shot That Attracted Me To This Film: At one moment, Eloise is entering a 50s dance hall and the we’re able to see her reflection in a mirror. But as an attendant removes her coat, her reflection is that of another woman (played by Anya Taylor Joy).

Who’ll love this film: Horror lovers, mystery enthusiasts, Edgar Wright fans

Cinderella

Director: Kay Cannon

Cast: Camila Cabello, Nicholas Galitzine, Billy Porter, Idina Menzel

Genre: Musical, comedy

Synopsis: Get lost in Amazon’s modernist musical retelling of the classic Cinderella tale.

The Shot That Attracted Me To This Film: There was no particular in this case, but the trailer is vibrant and colourful – it oozes fun.

Who’ll love this film: Fairy-tale fans, comedy fans

The Kissing Booth 3   

Director: Vince Marcello  

Cast: Joey King, Jacob Elordi, Joel Courtney  

Genre: Romantic comedy

Synopsis: Elle, Noah and Lee are back for yet another romp and drama-filled vacation! Don’t miss the swansong of the Kissing Booth Trilogy.

The Shot That Attracted Me To This Film: As with Cinderella, no one shot caught my attention, but the repetition of familiar elements (beach scenes, the infamous Kissing Booth itself) was warming – reminding us that this is a quintessential popcorn film

Who’ll love this film: Rom-com lovers, fans of the Kissing Booth series

Old

Director: M. Night Shyamalan

Cast: Gael García Bernal, Thomasin Mckenzie, Alex Wolff  

Genre: Thriller, horror  

Synopsis: When a family takes a vacation to a beachside paradise, they begin aging rapidly and must untangle the mystery of the beach

The Shot That Attracted Me To This Film: There’s a haunting moment when the main protagonists’ kids disappear behind a cliff and reappear as confused teens calling for their parents, who are stunned.   

Who’ll love this film: Horror and thriller fans, M. Night Shyamalan fans

House of Gucci

Director: Ridley Scott

Cast: Lady Gaga, Adam Driver, Jared Leto  

Genre: Thriller, historical

Synopsis: Go behind the scenes of the assassination of Maurizio Gucci (yes, it’s that Gucci), at the hands of none other than his ex-wife, Patrizia.  

The Shot That Attracted Me To This Film: I was struck by the sight of Lady Gaga – playing Patrizia Gucci – crossing herself and saying, in a heavy Italian accent no less, “Father, Son and House of Gucci”

Who’ll love this film: Drama lovers, Lady Gaga fans, Ridley Scott fans

And there you have it – some of the most exciting upcoming (and currently released) films!

I am a aspiring writer, currently majoring in English and Film Studies.