This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

The right coffee shop makes the ultimate cosy and warm space. In this guide, I’ll be going through the best cafés in CT for work productivity, solo reading dates, or maybe just a bit of catch-up coffee time.

Four & Twenty Café, Wynberg/Constantia Uitsig.

Four & Twenty is the most charming little bakery you could find yourself in. With a wide range of freshly baked goods, cute brunch meals, and a pantry-style produce section, this café is perfect for working or relaxing.

It’s got an eclectic style, so expect mismatched armchairs, different locally-made paintings on the wall, and colourful décor. What I personally love about this café is that whatever your mood may be, there is a table and chair that perfectly suits it. If you want to read in a comfy wingback chair, you can find that. If you want to work on a raised desk with a solid chair, there’s that as well. Oh, and the waitstaff are just the friendliest and kindest!

In terms of coffee, I recommend their cappuccinos, but if you’re feeling a bit fun you have to try the iced mocha – it’s insanely delicious! If you want to grab a bite, definitely check out the bakery for something satisfyingly sweet.

The Strangers Club, Green Point.

If you’re looking for the perfect insta-worthy place, you NEED to go to The Strangers Club. Located just off Main Road in Green Point, this café/local retail shop is the most aesthetically pleasing space you could think of. Boasting clean, natural colours with lots of organic textures, this café is guaranteed to help you get in the focus zone.

Although the selling point is that it is just gorgeous, what I love about this coffee shop is that it’s also a clothing, jewellery, homeware, and art store. Stocking local brands such as Float Apparel and Coast The Label, you can find plenty of special pieces to add to your wardrobe and home.

If you’re reading or working and you want something to sip on, the freshly-squeezed juices hit the spot every time. If you’re wanting more of a caffeine boost, try an oat milk cappuccino. (P.s: The Strangers Club also make the BEST toastie’s in CT, so if the budget allows you’ve got to give them a try!).

Bootlegger Coffee Company, multiple locations near you.

By now we’ve all been inside a Bootlegger Coffee Company (or ‘Bootleggers’, according to its popular nickname). Although it’s a chain of restaurants, thanks to its plug points and delicious coffee and food, each restaurant has become the work-café, always housing stressed students and busy workers slowly sipping on their coffee while hitting the grind.

What I love about Bootlegger Coffee Company is that there are so many ‘Bootleggers’ restaurants in and around Cape Town that you’re guaranteed to find one close to you. There’s always a good vibe there, and the waitstaff is always super understanding when it comes to working.

If you don’t know what coffee to get, try the flat white. They come in adorable glasses and are delicious with whatever milk you choose.

The Sweetest Thing, Simonstown.

The Sweetest Thing is truly that – the sweetest thing! If you live in the Southern Suburbs or Town, this place is faaaaar but it is so worth it.

This coffee shop/restaurant has a French baker, ensuring that the baked goods are sensational. The store looks tiny from the outside, but because it’s on the mountain it just carries on going up with different levels throughout the café, leading to a stunning courtyard all the way to the back.

Thanks to the different levels, these separate spaces can help you find a cosy spot to just put your head down and work. Alternatively, you can always sit in either the main road seating or in the courtyard outside if you want to people-watch in between your book reading or chatting with your friend or S.O.

Even though this article is all about the best coffee shops, The Sweetest Thing has the ultimate chocolate eclairs and all things pastry-related. So please bring a book, get yourself a pastry and a coffee or tea, and just enjoy being by the ocean.

Cushty Deli, Green Point.

Back to the Atlantic Seaboard! Cushty Deli is a little gem hidden a road up from Green Point Main Road. It’s super tiny but absolutely adorable. With inside and outside seating you can choose a nice space that will suit you to either work or chill.

Because it’s so small the customer service is excellent, and you get a really good home-away-from-home energy in this café. The baristas make divine coffee and there is a fresh harvest table for you to pick your food from.

Sonder Café, Observatory.

Last but not least, there is Sonder Café located in the heart of CT, Lower Main Road Obs. Sonder Café has that clean but cosy vibe, perfect for whatever café mood you’re in.

You can always find people working away on their laptops here, sipping some coffee or a drool-worthy smoothie and enjoying the sun pouring in through the windows.

What I love about Sonder is all the art on the walls! There are tons of adorable little artworks, and it just makes the space feel that much snugger and inviting.

So, if you’re ever getting bored of the library or just want a change of pace and scenery, I hope you can find a nice new spot that feels just right for you. Enjoy your adventures!

Hi! I'm a film student and an avid reader. I adore cooking, nature, and trying to be the best version of myself :)