This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Are you sick of buying treats in the shop? I know I am. 

Recently it was my fur baby’s birthday and I decided to switch it up with homemade pupcakes! It’s a great way to show your fur baby love and appreciation for being the best companion in a safe, easy and affordable way. This recipe manages to make 8 pupcakes!

Some of the recipes you will find on Google can break the bank. That is why I kept the basic ingredients the same, but changed up a few things to make it student-friendly and affordable. It is also important to note that the ingredients must be fresh and safe for your fur babies, for example by using organic peanut butter with no preservatives. We want to treat our pups, not make them sick.

You will also find that most of the ingredients used in this recipe you may already have at home- Yay, even cheaper! This is how I made my peanut butter and banana pupcakes:

Ingredients:

• 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp water
  • ½ cup whole wheat flour/plain flour
  • ½ mashed banana 
  • ¼ baking powder

Instructions:

• Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line your muffin tin with cupcake paper.
  • Sift together flour and baking powder, set aside.
  • In a bowl, mix the mashed banana and peanut butter together. Once done, add the water and egg and mix well.
  • Mix in the flour mixture to the banana and peanut butter mixture.
  • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (continuously check so you don’t burn them)

Frosting:

• Mix banana and peanut butter on top for a delicious fur baby frosting

That’s it! A simple treat that you can make at home that is even cheaper than buying at the pet stores!

My name is Jade Petersen and im an aspiring writer. Im currently studying media at the university of Cape Town. I enjoy writing short stories in my free time.