Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas for the New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

It’s a new semester and perhaps a new opportunity for you to spice up the most important meal of the day – breakfast!

Breakfast is, without a doubt, my favourite meal. It gives me a chance to be creative with what I eat and also sets the tone for what I eat throughout the day. Given our busy schedules and demanding courses as students, our breakfasts should be packed with nutrients and should be able to sustain us for a good number of hours.

Here are 4 quick and easy breakfast ideas for you to try:

Oatmeal

Add half a cup of rolled oats/old-fashioned oats to one cup of boiling water or the milk of your choice into a pot. It usually takes ten minutes, at most, for oats to cook. Once cooked, top it off with some fruit and peanut butter or, if you prefer, just keep it plain and simple. Oats are packed with vitamins and minerals, such as zinc, fibre, magnesium and selenium, just to name a few. This breakfast idea is a sure way to keep you full for quite a while, thanks to oats’ ability to stabilize blood-sugar.

Smoothie or smoothie bowl

The key to getting a thick or non-watery consistency is ensuring that the base of your smoothie, which is usually fruit, is frozen overnight. Depending on what ingredients you add into the blender, smoothies can be a great way to get your necessary nutrients. A basic recipe includes 1 frozen banana, ½ cup of milk (of your choice), 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, additional fruit and/or veggies of your choice, a teaspoon of chia seeds and a dash of cinnamon. Enjoy!

Avo on toast

Avocados need no introduction. They are high in antioxidants, as well as monounsaturated fats, which are also referred to as “good fats”. Sliced or ‘smooshed’ avocado on toast is bound to provide you with sustenance and give you additional vitamins and minerals.

Granola and yoghurt

Out of all of the meals mentioned, I would say that this is one of the quickest to put together and requires zero prep. If you don’t consume dairy products, common vegan yoghurt alternatives include coconut yoghurt, oat-milk yoghurt and almond-milk yoghurt. Try to aim for a granola that is not too high in sugar, as it can spike your blood-sugar levels and will ultimately leave you feeling hungry – or perhaps hangry – a lot quicker than you think.

Danielle is currently completing her undergraduate degree at the University of Cape Town, where she is majoring in applied statistics in the commerce faculty. She hopes to use her statistical knowledge in the medical field one day. She has a passion for fitness, health/wellness and beauty. She enjoys reading and writing in her free-time. Be sure to follow her makeup page on Instagram @makeupwith.danni