mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

June is Pride Month and one of the most beautiful ways to celebrate is through positive and nuanced representation of queer identities. For many queer kids, seeing themselves and their lived experiences reflected on screen lets them know that they are not alone. Here are some of the cutest queer couples present in pop culture to celebrate Pride Month 2019!

Waverly Earp and Nicole Haught in ‘Wynonna Earp’

From their cute meeting, to Waverly dorkingly admitting her feelings for Nicole by confessing that when she thinks “about what she wants to do most in this world (it’s Nicole)”, these two will make your heart swoon. Waverly is Latin-speaking and gun-wielding as well as the “nicest voted person” in her hometown, whereas Nicole is the badass Sheriff. This brave couple would do absolutely anything for each other – in fact, Waverly first professes her love for Nicole to prevent being shot at!  

Start watching this show to witness their chemistry and stay on for their endearing pet names. 

Elena and Syd in ‘One Day At A Time’

The couple who embodies ‘adorkable’ have the most iconic meeting ever – Elena screaming, “Me gay!” and Syd screaming, “Me gay too!”. Elena is a nerdy social justice warrior who realizes she is gay after dating a boy and noticing that she feels more aroused when staring at Kirsten Stewart. She meets Syd, a non-binary fellow feminist activist, at a protest. Syd and Elena are heroines to queer nerds everywhere. Feminist promposal, dressing up as Doctor Who character’s and watching Harry Potter at a hotel when they arent quite ready for their first time; what’s not to love about this power couple?

Cosima and Delphine in ‘Orphan Black’

If you haven’t already joined the Clone Club “Cophine”, will make you want to start watching this mind boggling show. These two develop feelings for each other while making “crazy science together”. Delphine shows us the complex nature of sexuality when she admits that she can’t stop thinking about their kiss. She delivers a sultry and intellectually rigorous speech on sexual fluidity when she admits to Cosima, “I’ve never thought about bisexuality, for myself, you know. But as a scientist, I know sexuality is a spectrum. But, you know, social biases…they codify attraction contrary to biological fact.” 
Despite the rough start to their relationship, these two have each other’s backs to the very end. Delphine nurses Cosima, attempts to find a cure for her sickness, keeps her warm through hypothermia and protects Cosima and her sisters from the powers that be.

I am currently in my third year completing a Bachelor of arts in English and Philosophy . A ravenclaw fangirl who likes podcasts , everything potter & philosophy. In love with love , Lorde , romcoms ,cuddling my baby sister and getting lost in conversation with my friends.