This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

This online learning thing can leave a lot of us feeling overwhelmed, sleep-deprived, lacking motivation, and academically alone. Although this semester started off fine, it now seems to be moving at a glacial pace. Yet, I still feel unable to catch up. Anyone of you feeling like you’re not learning optimally or managing to keep up with everyone else? Well, this is for you, because I myself wish someone would let me know that they’re in the same boat – just to build a little solidarity. 

What am I reading?

Academic reading is a good way for us students to engage with our lecture topics more deeply and grapple with different perspectives. But with each course requiring us to engage with two to three readings closely, it can often feel like the words are becoming cornering. Sentences start to blur together and you find yourself re-re-reading one paragraph. This can become overwhelming and may lead to you to put off starting this task at all. 

My advice is to sit with a reading for at least five minutes. Even if after the five minutes you choose to stop, at least you’ll have done something. Reading the first 5-7 pages and the conclusion is better than not having done the reading at all. Try to find one thing that stands out to you – this may allow you to keep reading…

Pexels / Andrea Piacquadio

Can I really talk to anyone?

I have very little doubt that I have been a nuisance to my English tutor with my emails – constantly asking questions and sending possible essay arguments. When online learning first started, the idea of emailing my tutor to ask questions was strange, because I had never done that before. I knew, however, that opening channels of communication would benefit my academic work and that my tutor’s feedback would teach me new skills. And it did! If you are feeling overwhelmed or unsure of your work then I really do encourage you to reach out to tutors and course convenors for advice and support. It is easy to suffer in silence at university, but jumping over your shadow and sending an email can really help.  

Woman with curly hair waving and saying hi to someone through her laptop.
Photo by Yan from Pexels

Other students making the most 

Some students seem to be managing fine. They find their courses interesting and are keeping up with all that is expected of them. This is great, but is not a reality for all of us. I find that juggling readings, big and small assignments, quizzes, home life and downtime, can make it quite difficult to enjoy my courses. 

Sure, they are interesting, but not having time to reflect and process what I am being taught through the screen, puts somewhat of a distance between the course material and my brain. It was in a tutorial that I really felt isolated in feeling unsure of all the material we have covered so far. The tutor asked how everyone was finding the course, whether it was enjoyable or not. Everyone was giving positive feedback, but I couldn’t, and still can’t, even recall all the course work covered and all the readings we did, because they seemed to blend together. I felt bad about my uncertainty. 

The truth is, that it is not healthy for me to compare my experience of a course with that of others, because it would just make me feel more anxious about my place in it. It is also important to take into account that people are not necessarily going to let everyone know what they’re struggling with. My advice for anyone feeling the same way, is to continue trying your best. Hopefully you can find solace in the fact that you are not alone in this. 

The small things make a difference 

Sometimes the smallest things can make online learning slightly better, or at least bearable. For me, having a list and an excel spreadsheet of things I need to accomplish during the week makes me feel delighted. The most wonderful feeling is ticking off something I’ve done and getting to highlight it in grey on my spreadsheet. 

To make sure I know how much I need to do and how much I have already done, I check that I have added tasks I am currently busy with. This helps me to keep track. Find something small that can make working feel more manageable and spark a bit of joy. 

The academic year is almost over and I know we can make it. There is just something comforting in knowing that you are not alone in this, in how you are feeling. 

Ashiqa holds a Bachelor of Social Science majoring in Anthropology and English. She loves reading and re-reading books, as well as learning about new people and their experiences. She believes strongly in doing your 'homework' before stating an opinion.