Career

This One’s For The Dreamers: How Small Steps Become Big Leaps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

“Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” – Vincent Van Gogh 

I’ve been listening to a lot of podcasts lately. They have become my way of finding inspiration in the morning commute. My favourite kinds are the ones that traverse the stories of people who have created phenomenal lives for themselves, and how they managed to do this. They are the kinds of stories that you listen to while having those “wow she is so cool, I wish I could be as cool as her and do as many amazing things” feels. 

You see, I’m a dreamer, and I’m sure many of you can relate. My close friends and I have sipped countless cups of tea while discussing the details of our life-long aspirations, and I am the proud owner of a tower of journals, whose ink-covered pages divulge the wishes for my future. Like the lives of the people I listen to on podcast, I too dream of creating a phenomenal life. Here’s the thing, though – when it comes to turning those dreams into a reality, I’m clueless as to where to start (and, quite frankly, the prospect of starting is daunting). Recently, after getting too impatient waiting for the world to deliver me my “big break”, I’ve come to a realisation: Slow progress is still progress, and all big things arise from small steps in the right direction. You don’t have to wait for the world to present you with a “big break” (even though that sounds idyllic), you can begin pursuing your dreams whenever you choose, in small ways. Here are a few encouraging tips on how to do so!

Starting is always the hardest part

You probably already know this. You overcome this every day, whether it be beginning a complicated assignment, doing a presentation, or making a new friend. The act of beginning is always the most difficult, because it requires you to push past all the anxieties and doubts you have about how it will turn out in the end, and just throw yourself into it. Once you have started, the rest of the process immediately flows more easily. Decide on a small area of your aspiration and dedicate your time and energy to it. Then remind yourself that trying something new, in and of itself, is something to be proud of. You do not have to strive for mastery right from the get-go.

Image by Stella Hertantyo

Small victories are victories too

Once you have overcome the anxieties in the beginning, you will realise that there is so much satisfaction in completing a task. This is because our bodies release a small amount of dopamine (also known as the “pleasure hormone”) to reward us. Think about how great you feel when you reach the end of the day, and you have ticked off everything on your to-do list! This sense of satisfaction motivates us to keep moving forward. So, keep setting tiny goals for yourself. Then remind yourself to be proud of your small victories too, because you are allowed to be a masterpiece and a work in progress at the same time. 

Image by Stella Hertantyo

Little by little, day by day

Let me tell you, aspirations can be overwhelming! The trick to not feeling overwhelmed is to try and focus on each day being a space for growth and progress. That being said, don’t beat yourself up about the bad days either (even phenomenal people have them). When it comes to moving towards a personal goal, consistency and dedication is key. In the same way, as you dedicate time in each week to school work, or seeing your family, you should try and set aside some time to working on something that is meaningful to you. If the stories I listen to in podcasts have taught me anything, it’s that nobody just “arrives” at their destination, everything is a process that can be broken down into single days. As a reminder to myself that each day provides a space for new growth, I have an affirmation that I say to myself every morning: “Each day, in every way, I am better and better.”

Image by Stella Hertantyo

You don’t need to prove it to anyone but yourself

A lot of the anxieties about beginning something new come from our worries about failing. These worries are heightened when we place the decision about the extent to which we succeed or fail, in the eyes of other people. Think about when you post a picture of yourself on Instagram and it doesn’t get as many likes as you expected – often, it causes us to doubt ourselves. Millennials are often conflicted by the “Did you actually do it if you didn’t post about it?” question, but, if you (like me) struggle with self-doubt sometimes, why not hold back on exposing your new foray to public opinion for a little bit? That way, the only affirmation that counts is self-affirmation and affirmation from your loved ones. Remind yourself that you are already enough and just because your path is different, it doesn’t mean you are lost. 

Image by Stella Hertantyo

I am a third-year Multimedia Journalism student at UCT. I'm also the Chairperson and Correspondent of Her Campus UCT. Working with my amazing executive team, each day, makes me feel like I'm living out my childhood dream of being the Editor in Chief of a magazine! I'm passionate about sustainable development, with a particular focus on sustainable fashion, and I hope to be able to work in that innovative industry one day. I'm an advocate for slow living, and an ambitious introvert trying to find my way in the world. A dip in the ocean, or a walk in the mountain, are the two things that bring me the most peace.