This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Another year, another 12 new months of exciting film releases; from sequels to adaptations to brand new debut ideas, 2023 is sure going to keep us entertained! 

February brings us Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania as well as Magic Mike’s Last Dance, two very different genres of film, yet equally as entertaining. 

Marvel’s Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania is set to hit cinemas on February 17th, and has been hyped up as the most important Marvel movie since Avengers: Endgame, quite a claim to make…

Scott, his daughter and a few others are accidentally sent to the quantum realm, and have to navigate this strange and rather dangerous world. Marvel fans, grab your popcorn and clear your schedules, because this is meant to be a goodie!

Magic Mike’s Last Dance has already received praise and popularity, with audiences rating this final Magic Mike instalment the best of them all. Despite its lack of character development and rather low Rotten Tomatoes rating, it is a film that pleases the eye, which is probably the main point after all. 

March brings us a triple whammy of exciting entertainment with retakes on childhood favourites, a highly anticipated sequel and more! March 16th brings us a new version of Roald Dahl’s childhood book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, now simply titled Wonka. However, this is not going to be the same story we’ve seen before, but rather a film focused on Willy Wonka himself and his childhood. Potential follow ups to this film are already being spoken about, so this one is bound to be a hit. 

Then we also have every sport-fan’s dream, the newest instalment in the Rocky Franchise: 

Creed III. Directed by Michael B. Jordan himself, this action-packed drama film continues to excite heavy-weight fighting fans around the world, set to be released early March this year.

A few people might be familiar with the tabletop boardgame Dungeons and Dragons, a fantasy dragon-slaying role-playing adventure that first came out in the 1970s. Well, this year, Paramount Pictures are reviving the franchise with a star-studded cast including Hugh Grant and Chris Pine. Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves will hopefully surpass its predecessor’s attempts at breaking into the film industry, as all three previous films were total flops… However, with these good-looking actors and actresses, it’ll be hard not to enjoy. 

April looks to be the month of animation, with a new Universal Pictures film as well as the directors of Kung Fu Panda returning to the scene with new ideas.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie is one I am particularly thrilled to see, being the first film adaptation of the Nintendo world which I was obsessed with as a child. The film is said to have been influenced by Ghostbusters and the Wizard of Oz, so we’re definitely in for an adventure!

Noah’s Ark, directed by the same geniuses that did Kung Fu Panda, is a light-hearted film about an aardvark who has landed the important job of herding all the animals into Noah’s Ark. While this may be more aimed at younger audiences, it’s always enjoyable to watch a good animation now and again, to balance out the action and gore we usually see on the big screen. 

May 2023 brings even more animated fun, with Disney’s Live-Action The Little Mermaid finally coming to cinemas. One of Disney’s most well-known composers actually worked on a new soundtrack for this classic retelling, which will hopefully live up to the story that captivated so many, some 30 years ago. 

Then, another Marvel addition (and my personal favourite from the Marvel Cinematic Universe), we have Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Chris Pratt’s humour is unparalleled, never failing to make his audience laugh. In this instalment, Peter Quill leads his friends on their final mission – an emotional rollercoaster for everyone! 

These are just a fraction of the fantastic new films set to come out this year, so start saving that cash because you’re going to want to see these on the big screen!

Keep an eye out for part two, where we’ll discuss new releases from June to December! 

A 22-year-old girl just trying to find her place in the world.