This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

I’ve recently been telling people around me to start watching Korean dramas (A.K.A K.Dramas). However, most of the people I tell give me a weird look. A look that says “Why should I watch them when I don’t even understand what they are saying?”. Trust me, I know. It’s frustrating to watch something which requires that you read subtitles, but I have to say – it’s refreshing to get a break from Hollywood every now and then. Korean film has rapidly grown over the past few years and has the potential to take over the industry.

Previously, people would pirate Korean dramas by loading them onto CDs and selling them on the street. Our advancement into the digital era has made it possible for Korean dramas to reach an even bigger global audience. This is all thanks to online streaming services like DramaFever and Hulu. Of course, I like K.Dramas because I find them entertaining (and a stress reliever when university life is being the most) but most importantly, I love the fact that K.Wave – or Hallyu/ Hallyuwood – as a whole challenge the global cultural imperialism of the United States and Hollywood. It is these dramas in particular that can teach you about Korean culture, history, food, language and even Asian geography.

Korean dramas evoke in their viewers what I like to call an ‘ironic pleasure’. Whilst some of the things in their storylines are simply unrealistic and far-fetched, they are so much fun to watch. For example, most of these dramas have a son that is the heir to a big family-owned company who falls in love with a girl from a “humble upbringing” (honestly, the coincidence of wealthy heirs always falling in love with poor girls is quite a reach). Even though I criticize the plot every time I watch this kind of storyline, I still find myself excited to press the ‘next’ button and finish the episodes.

Don’t worry: I’m not going to leave this article here without some awesome recommendations. Below are some K.Dramas that I’ve watched and swooned over. To all the eye-rollers where K.Dramas or the K.Wave is concerned, this is for you. Hopefully you tune in.

Descendants of the Sun 2016

This is my all-time favourite, but it’s not your typical K.Drama. It is made up of a stellar cast of some of the top actors in South Korea. The soundtrack got me ‘all up in my feelings’ and the storyline was so unique in its depiction of serious life hurdles and the relationship between two people from different professions who put their heads together in the hope of a better society. I remember the lead female actress, Song Hye Kyo, from a drama I watched (and loved) in primary school called Autumn in my Heart. The lead actor, Song Joong Ki, was amazing and made me respect his character. The chemistry between this couple is out of this world (they’re married in real life and referred to as the “Song-Song” couple – get it?]. Descendants of the Sun also received great critical acclaim, many accolades and was named the most popular K.Drama of 2016 by the Korea Broadcasting Advertising Corporation.

Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2016

I was sceptical of this drama at first because of its historical storyline. But man, this drama got me glued to the screen by the first episode. If you’re a fan of Game of Thrones, you should definitely watch Scarlet Heart Ryeo. A character is taken way back in time to Korea’s Goryeo Dynasty of the 10th century – yes, 10th! – where the king has complete sovereignty and our heroine has to adjust to a new way of life. There death, betrayal and a thirst for power much like Game of Thrones – but with its own twist. It is based on actual history but is altered to fit the storyline’s creative content. However, I wasn’t too happy with the ending. It left me wanting to know more. If you are curious about Korean history, this is the drama to watch!

The Heirs 2013

Yes. It’s one of those rich-guy-falls-in-love-with-poor-girl dramas, yet it’s a must watch. If you are into high school dramas/movies, this is the perfect drama for you. I have one name for you: LEE MIN HO! I’m sure you’ve heard of  Boys over Flowers, right? Or a character called Gu Jun Pyo who travels to high school in a helicopter. No? Well anyway, Lee Min Ho is the lead character in The Heirs and his female counterpart is the equally talented Park Shin Hye – who’s had her fair share of success. This drama will take you back to high school and make you wish your life had been such an amazingly devastating drama. You’ll finish the drama feeling fulfilled.    

The K2 2016

This was the first Korean action-drama that I watched. At this time I was used to the conventional K.Drama: cheesy, funny, rich boy/poor girl. But this one was different. I loved how the guy and the girl fell in love and leaned towards each other to heal past wounds. Their connection was so deep despite the fact that they were not together in two-thirds of the scenes. The storyline has some twists in it. Set in different countries, this drama leaves the viewer curious and engaged, asking: “what will happen next?”. I found myself falling for the villain because of her craft. I had a kind of love/hate relationship with her. Although she was evil, I couldn’t help but love her.

The Legend of the Blue Sea 2016-2017

I have to say I never expected to see Lee Min Ho playing this character. He is conniving, steals money and wears traditional clothes. In the midst of fraudulence and a contemporary setting, there is a mermaid and time travelling to Korea’s Joseon Dynasty. The lead female actress, Jun Ji Hyun, has been critically acclaimed for this role where she goes against all odds to be with the man she loves. The leads won the best couple award the SBS drama awards in 2016. If you like dramas/movies full of adventure and humour, watch The Legend of the Blue Sea.

Birth of a Beauty 2014

If the title of this drama doesn’t attract you to this, I don’t know what will! Alongside watching an amazing opening scene, I learned that Korea does, in fact, have curvy people – not just the typical tall, slim lead actresses that I’m used to. Although our curvy character was subject to constant ridicule due to her size, she was there – and for me that was a win. I love her determination, the way she isn’t a damsel in distress and how she makes sure she solves all her problems, regardless of men.

Goblin (Guardian: The Lonely and Great God) 2016

Alongside Birth of a Beauty, this drama is right there at the top of the hilarious meter (or whatever it is we use to measure comedy). The comedic part of this drama is not the type to have you rolling on the floor unable to breathe. It’s a cute funny: the one that will make you grin even if you’re alone. Goblin is a fantasy-drama with characters who travel between generations, grim reapers and lost souls. If you are into that stuff, I recommend you watch this. Whilst it was critically acclaimed and well-viewed, the time travelling was a bit much for me, especially towards the end. Overall, this drama will lighten up your mood throughout every episode.

List of other great K.Dramas that I’ve watched:

Uncontrollably Fond

Married without Dating

Boys over Flowers

My Love from the Star

Doctors

It’s Okay, that’s Love

Beautiful Gong Shim

Personal Taste

Emergency Couple

Fight for my Way

I am a University of Cape Town graduate. I take pride in being African. I am easily inspired by things that shake my spirit, make me feel untouchable as a woman and fulfilled in my blackness. I love words and doing research. I frequently explore pieces of enticing writing, especially exquisitely written fiction