zodiac signs cancer pisces gemini?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
zodiac signs cancer pisces gemini?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Her Campus Media

Modal Say What? The nitty gritty of Star Signs’ Modalities Explained

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

By Zoë Hanslo

If I’m being frank, the average horoscope reader probably knows their star sign, maybe even knows its qualities too but, doesn’t understand their modality whatsoever. Yet, understanding what modality your star sign falls under is key.

Each star sign possesses a modality; and you can think of that modality as a grounding quality that infuses your star sign and determines its general outlook. The three modalities are: cardinal, mutable and fixed.

So, here’s the 411 on star signs and their modalities!

Cardinal Signs/Cardinal Modality

It includes the star signs Cancer, Libra, Capricorn, and Aries. A cardinal modality can be seen as a forward driving momentum. The cardinal star signs are constantly doing – working on tasks, career goals etc. In fact, they’re probably even ‘working’ on their leisure time. For example, planning out their leisure activities in advance!

Fixed Signs/Fixed Modality

It includes the star signs Aquarius, Leo, Scorpio, and Taurus. A fixed modality can be seen as well, fixed, and uber-trusty. The fixed star signs are profoundly independent and as unmoving (aka dependable) as a tree with exceptionally deep roots!

Mutable Signs/Mutable Modality

It includes the star signs Pisces, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Gemini. A mutable modality is all about yielding. That is, surrendering to things as they happen, as opposed to stressing about unwelcome changes in life and adjusting to one’s circumstances. Hence, the term mutable – a mutable sign mutates or adapts to survive!

And those are the modalities! Hopefully these explanations shed a little more light on the minutiae of your star sign – and how your star sign relates more specifically to your personality and traits!

For more info on Star Signs and their modalities visit: https://www.astrology.com/modalities and https://www.bustle.com/life/is-your-zodiac-sign-cardinal-fixed-mutable-heres-what-it-all-means-19418010

I am a aspiring writer, currently majoring in English and Film Studies.