Keeping Up with the Kardashians – The End of an Era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

265 episodes, 20 seasons, 14 years, 5 sisters, 1 brother, 1 father and 1 spectacular momager.  The Kardashians truly hid nothing from the cameras. We have witnessed their many crazy fights, like the one in season 6 between Kim and Rob in Bora Bora where it got to the point that Kris Humphries asked Kris (the mom) if she would be okay with him “putting hands” on her son. Or what about the season 12 premiere when the sisters fight Rob and Kris because he had treated everyone horribly because of his relationship with Blac Chyna, yet he still wanted Kris to buy him a house… AND SHE DID. Kris put on her claws and clapped back at all three of them by pointing out how she supports all of them regardless of what they do, like Kim’s marriage to Kris Humphries that lasted for 72 days. Can someone say OKURRRR.

But the most iconic fight has to be in season 3 when Kim shouted, “Don’t be f*cking rude!”. If you have ever seen Keeping Up with the Kardashians or heard of the show then you have to be familiar with this line from the fight, especially the epic purseswat from Kim to Khloe. While that may be the most iconic fight, it is not however the most aggressive fight. While there have been moments of aggression on KUWTK, like Khloe hitting Scott or Rob and Scott getting in a physical fight, the most aggressive one happened on the more recent of seasons. Season 18, episode 1 and 2, we see the most aggressive physical fight from Kim and Kourtney. Khloe, Kim, Kourtney, and Kendall were all there. The scene had started very tame, but there had been a lot of tension between Khloe, Kim, and Kourtney as of late because of Kourtney’s reluctance to film the show. I think this scene was especially shocking because I do not think us as viewers really understood how difficult it is to film regardless of how many years it has been a regular.

Another epic fight between Kim and Kourtney that made memes go wild was the season 15 premiere. Kim is upset with Kourtney for not being flexible enough with her schedule to make it to a family photoshoot. She yells that she doesn’t understand how business works and that she’s the “least exciting to look at” so she won’t be missed at the photoshoot. A more recent spat between Kendall and Kylie made it to Twitter recently. Season 19, the final season, sees Kendall and Kylie getting into a very dramatic physical fight.

KUWTK is so popular because of how dynamic, outlandish, and extravagant the family is. I think many regular viewers of the show love seeing the development of everyone, their styles, their mannerisms, relationships and of course, the drama. We have learnt a lot about makeup from Kim and Kylie, learnt about the hardships of pregnancy, saw the amazing feminism and the power of women from Kris, Kourtney, Kim, Khloe, Kendall, and Kylie. We saw cheating scandals and how each woman in the family that had to deal with those, we saw their strengths and weaknesses, dealing with aging, the reality of transitioning, single parenting, and co-parenting. KUWTK showed us the raw hardships woman have to face sometimes but they should us how they stayed together and the true meaning of family and loyalty regardless of anything. Keeping up with the Kardashians showed us what it meant to be strong with fear, vulnerability, anger, and struggles. 

I will definitely miss the show!

“Until the colour of your skin is the target, you will never understand”- Angela Davis