freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How To Get Your Relationship Back On Track

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

As university students, we are bombarded with course work. More often than not we don’t have time for ourselves, and even less for our partners. It is very important to keep a balance and healthy social life while still getting that degree. To maintain a happy and loving connection whilst juggling course work, try out these few tips to maintain or rekindle your relationship.

Tip 1: Make time

Setting time for your partner with 3 tests looming and 2 more essays due by the end of the week is stressful and near impossible. Our worst enemy is procrastination. Start on essays before the due date and make a realistic study schedule that allows you to make time for yourself and partner without feeling guilty. The biggest problem that causes a break up in any relationship is lack of time spent together. Try to set out one day in the week where it’s all about your partner. This day will also allow you to distress from an entire week of lectures and tests.

Tip 2: Plan date night

Once a month, decide to do something that is out of routine. This creates excitement and helps to look forward to an activity with your partner during the week when you stressed out with varsity. It doesn’t have to break the bank, for example planning a romantic picnic at the beach or Company Gardens. The most important point is that you and your partner are making memories and time for each other. 

Tip 3: Honest communication

If you can’t make a date night with your partner because you have an exam the next day, then tell them. Before you get into the relationship there should be a clear line of communication where you have told your partner that your academics come first. The way your partner interprets this can let you know if the relationship is worth pursuing further as this will be a constant fight between the two of you in the future. Without communication, your partner won’t feel a priority anymore, won’t feel safe in the relationship, and may look for emotional support elsewhere. Clear and open communication is key.

I hope these tips helps get your relationship out of a slump. Remember that open communication and setting time out for your partner helps keep your relationship on the right track, and can help you distress from a tiring hard week of course chowing.

My name is Jade Petersen and im an aspiring writer. Im currently studying media at the university of Cape Town. I enjoy writing short stories in my free time.