This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Finding an authentic and relatable queer television series that doesn’t leave the audience mourning a heart-shattering breakup or tragic ending can be quite tricky in today’s film industry. However, Netflix does a great job of breaking this cycle by introducing its new show Heartstopper, which has captured the attention of queer youth around the world in the past few weeks. 

This LGBTQ+ coming-of-age drama, based on the novel by Alice Oseman, follows the lives of six British high school students but focuses primarily on the blooming friendship between teens Charlie Spring and Nick Nelson, played by Joe Locke and Kit Connor. Heartstopper challenges the heteronormative expectations of today, all while curating sympathetic, interesting and diverse characters. It is well worth the watch and perfect for those searching for a genuine love story. Spoiler alert – you might end up binge-watching the entire show in one night (guilty).

In the first episode, we meet Charlie Spring – a shy, introverted and openly gay boy attending Truham Grammar School for Boys. Charlie, who has been a victim of countless acts of bullying at the hands of his homophobic classmates, is very awkward and spends most of his time alone in the art room. He is much different to that of his current “boyfriend” Ben Hope (who wouldn’t label their affair as anything other than pure, careless fun). This relationship – which consists of secret meetups around the school – quickly ends, and Charlie soon realises his flourishing interest in Truham’s golden rugby boy Nick Nelson. The two first meet after they’re sat next to each other in class, and although they may seem like an unlikely couple, we get to witness the budding seed of love and romance that manifests within their relationship. 

We’re also introduced to Charlie’s friends, who all together form a very wholesome friend group. There’s Tao – your classic film fanatic who would rather spend his Saturday night watching movies than attend some stupid high school party. Then there’s Isaac, a good-natured and friendly guy who is one of Charlie’s best friends. And lastly, there’s Elle – a sweet, artsy transgender student who recently transferred from Truham to Higgs Girl’s School where she meets future best friends Tara and Darcy. It’s soon revealed that Tara and Darcy are actually dating and, being the only known lesbians in the school, they too are subject to constant harassment and homophobia from peers. This, however, doesn’t stop them from expressing their soaring love for each other. In episode 3 titled ‘Kiss,’ Nick witnesses a touching moment between Tara and Darcy where they dance lovingly together and share a soul-stirring kiss. This is a very significant moment in the show because it helps Nick come to terms with his sexuality and realise his feelings for Charlie. Nick’s revelation eventually leads him and Charlie to share their first kiss that night – which sparks the beginning of their mounting love for one another… I’m not crying, you are.

Now that I’ve given you almost every spoiler in the show (just kidding), it’s time to unpack why this production is such an important step in the accurate representation of queerness in the media, as well as my positive feelings towards it. Not only does this show explore the emotional rollercoaster of teenage adolescence, but it also illustrates the magnitude of young queer love and the emotions that come with it. It brings to light the difficulties of living in a world where being “straight” is the default and the common fear of expressing yourself as anything outside of the binary nature of sexuality. We can see this idea illustrated in Ben’s character. He was so afraid of people finding out about his relationship with Charlie that he decided to keep it a secret, which unfortunately is a very common notion within the LGBTQ+ community. Many people go their whole lives hiding in the closet in fear of judgement and prejudice from others, and this is why queer representation is so important in the media because it removes the idea that being gay is “wrong” or “unacceptable”. The show also explores topics relating to mental illness. Throughout the series, we see the depiction of anxiety that manifests within Charlie’s thoughts. He is in constant fear that people are judging him, which could root back to the fact that he has been a victim of bullying and harassment for many years. This portrayal shows the heavy impact that mental illness can have on one’s life, and this show brings much-needed awareness to this issue.

Nowadays, a lot of seemingly “progressive” forms of entertainment that feature LGBTQ+ characters usually just reinforce the over-sexualisation of queer folk and use their presence as some sort of token to earn their “woke points”. Heartstopper does a great job in diverting that idea, and instead, it presents a genuine love story between several queer characters and does so in a way that doesn’t fetishize them. The couples in the show portray the authentic and sensual elements of queer relationships, as well as the struggles of being openly out in a heteronormative world. Charlie and Nick’s relationship reminds us that it’s OKAY to be gay, despite what others may think. As a queer person myself, I think that Nick’s experience of coming to terms with his sexuality is very relatable. It can be a very overwhelming and confusing experience, and we’re able to explore this journey of coming out and self-acceptance throughout his storyline. The show was also released just after lesbian visibility week, which is amazing because we get to explore and celebrate the relationship between Tara and Darcy even more. Authentic lesbian relationships are so rarely represented on television. They’re usually depicted in a way that appeals largely to the male gaze, so it’s refreshing to finally see a show with a lesbian couple that conveys the true sensuality and realness of sapphic relationships. Yasmin Finney, the actress who plays Elle, is also trans in real life, and her performance in the production shows the importance of trans representation in the media. Many series and films often don’t include many trans characters. So having Elle – a black, trans girl, as one of the main characters, is really a big accomplishment when it comes to diverse representation. Other actors in the show identify with various other labels on the gender and sexuality spectrum, which is remarkable as it raises the voices of those who identify within the LGBTQ+ community. 

Overall, this series is by far one of my favourite queer Netflix originals that have been released. From the cute doodle-like illustrations that can be seen in the editing of the show to the niche soundtrack featuring songs from fan-favourite queer artists such as Girl in Red and Frankie Cosmos, this show has surpassed my expectations. If you’re looking for something that will leave your soul touched with the sweetness and struggles of gay romance, add this to your watchlist! All I’m saying is that this is a case where you should actually believe the hype because this show truly is heart-stopping.

Jordyn is a first-year student studying toward a degree in film and media. She loves watching movies, reading, writing, and anything got to do with astrology and the stars. You'll find her where there's good music and even greater people.