Halloween Events for You and Your Squad in Cape Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Halloween has always been a great time of year for me (and not just because it’s my birthday) but because even though Halloween isn’t as widely celebrated in South Africa, there are events held for the spooky day. Here’s a list of ideas that you and your friends can do around Cape Town this year!

Clubbing in town

Although the suggestion is pretty obvious, you’d be surprised with how many clubs have Halloween centered events in Cape Town. There’s a variety on Facebook to check out that come with different themes and benefits! Choose one and grab your squad to party the night away!

Horrorfest at the Labia Theatre

Every year, Horrorfest is held at the Labia Theater for a whole week, so even if you aren’t available on Halloween (which falls on a Thursday this year) you still have a wide variety to choose from! It starts on the 29 October to the 7 November and if you do plan on going, book your tickets now so that you’ll be guaranteed a spot. Movies such as The Shining and The Rocky Horror Picture Show will be playing so don’t miss out on this opportunity!

Galileo Open Air Cinema

The Galileo Open Air Cinema takes place at Kirstenbosch Gardens and this year, the Halloween Special is Stephen King’s Pet Cemetery. With the star shining above and the natural surroundings, it’ll be an amazing experience with your friends. The price is R180 p/p (includes entry, backrest, blanket, scary decor & sweet treat) as well as a dress up competition with the grand prize of R1000!

Be part of the mystery!

This event is pricy but with a three-course meal buffet and a murder mystery with your friends…it sounds worth it! Be Part Of The Mystery is a party planning company that has Halloween specials as well as events throughout the year! The classic ‘who-dun-it’ intrigue has come to life with this company and comes with a story that your friends can easily have fun with. After buying the story, your friends will receive emails a week before the party with the characters they need to go as. The location is also based on the story and your friends are encouraged to dress up and get into character. Their prices can go from R400 – R495 p/p for either a DIY story or a planned event.

Movie night

Now, if you and your friends just don’t feel like being social or spending too much money, there’s no need to go out in order to have fun. Pull out a favourite horror movie, popcorn and get under the blankets for a good old fashioned movie night.

Get spooky this October and have FUN!

Joelle is an Anthropology Honours student with a Bachelor's degree in English Literature and Anthropology at UCT. She is a feminist, aspiring author, k-pop enthusiast and avid reader.