This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

F1 is a fast-growing sport, but despite the new craze, many struggle to join the hype due to the sport’s complicated nature. For that reason, here is part 2 of F1 101 a space I use to share a few key features of the sport that you need to know, this article focus on some more rules and regs as well as some key features that have been all the talk during this part of the season: 

The FIA 

Now, many may know the infamous Michael Massi who brought last year’s exhilarating season to a controversial close. Or you may know the FIA as the group of people many experienced fans are constantly frustrated by – but who are they and what do they do? The FIA, AKA Fédération International de l’Automobile, is the governing body of motorsport that acts as enforcers of the standardised rules each category needs to follow. Therefore they act as the enforcement of the regulations: whether this is regarding the cars, the drivers or even how actions across the weekend pan out. 

Rules and regs (yellow, red, blue flags) 

What are some of these rules and regulations, you may ask? Well, aside from the components of the cars being legal, there are specific on-track rules drivers follow, such as through the various colour flags. Here are a few of those flags and what they mean during the race when shown: 

Yellow flag: this flag is used to notify the drivers of potential dangers on the track which requires drivers to slow down and prohibits any overtaking. This flag may precede a safety car where said car will lead to the race slowing down the drivers so that the danger can be cleared off the track for racing to resume. 

Red flag: this is shown when the session or race has been suspended and all drivers must return to the pit lane. 

Green flag: this indicates that racing may continue, and drivers can speed up and overtake. 

Blue flag: this is an indication to a driver that they will be lapped by those going faster than them. It tells them to let this driver through as they are not racing them. 

DRS 

Now, this may be a term heard across the race weekend but what exactly is DRS? DRS, or Drag Reduction System, is a part of the car and involves the movement of the rear wing to reduce drag. In doing so it enables drivers to gain on average 10-12 km of speed depending on the track. The track has a DRS Zone where if within a second of the driver in front, the DRS will be activated to allow for potential overtaking. These zones are determined by the FIA and are altered depending on the presecn of the safety car or weather conditions. 

Pit stops (“box box”) 

Now, these have been quite the talk recently because they are an incredible way for teams to exercise strategies that potentially undercut or overcut other drivers. The pits are the space where tires are changed or repairs are made, depending on the reason for the drivers having to “box” the usual call made on the radio to the driver when asked to come in. The rules require a driver to pit at least once during a race, as they are required to run two different tyre compounds during the race. This is unless it is in wet weather where pitting or changing tyres is required. Being in the pit lane takes about 20-30 seconds, with this time being cut nearly in half during the safety car. It is here, however, where drivers and teams can change up the positions on the track allowing for various strategies to play out and mind games to be conducted throughout the race. 

F1 silly season 

Now, this is not an official term within the sport. However, this time of year is best described as “silly”. It is here when drivers’ moving of teams are announced, if doing so, or when new drivers are announced if they’re moving up categories. This is a time when various drivers are rumoured to be affiliated with various teams, and it is very much a fun way to occupy oneself during the summer break as we guess who might be moving where, and which drivers would be best suited for each team. Of course, not all drivers move teams – just those who do not have contracts for the following year or those who are retiring. This season thus far we have had the Alpine Mclaren drama involving new talent Oscar Piastri and Daniel Riccardo. It seems like some more drama may be brewing in the Alpha Tauri and Williams’ garages regarding drivers, however, we will have to wait and see! To be updated on driver moves, keep an eye on F1 social media and look at platforms like WTF1 for more information on the drama that has occurred and l that potentially may occur. 

Super license 

Finally, conversations between Red Bull and Colton Herta have brought up the issue of the super license. This license is the driver’s qualification that allows them to participate in the Formula 1 World Championship. However, his licence has various requirements to be attained, such as A minimum age of 18 at the start of their first F1 competition, being an existing holder of an International Grade A competition licence, a holder of a valid driving licence, passing of an FIA theory test on knowledge of the F1 sporting codes and regulations when applying for the first time. In addition having completed at least 80% of each of two full seasons of any of the single-seater Championships reported in Supplement 1 of the regulations, accumulated at least 40 points over the previous three seasons in any combination of the championships reported in Supplement 1 of the regulations. However, Red Bull has tried to find a loophole in some of these requirements for Colton Herta (Indy car driver) to be able to join them next year to now successful. This occurrence has left many wondering about the super licence and its attainability with drivers like Max Verstappen (2021 world champion) and Kimi Rakkinon (2007 world champion) being pegged as drivers who under these requirements would not have been able to attain a super licence in the past, let alone score a drive in Formula 1. 

This has been another short piece about F1, giving some more insight into the incredible sport.

Hey! My name is Lekia Collene Thaver (lct) and I am a 3rd year BA student majoring in Psychology, English and Sociology a combination that continually challenges my thought processes about the world and the people in it. My free time is spent writing about anything and everything and when I am not lost in my imagination, I am watching fast cars go around in oddly shaped circles or I'm exploring new places in and around Cape Town with my friends and family.