This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

I think it is pretty safe to say that modern dating is no joke. We not only have to compete with our dearest of friends for our crushes’ attention but now we also have to compete with online bodies and personalities too? I didn’t sign up for this BS. There does come a time when the stars align and our crush starts liking us back.

Fast forward a few days or weeks. (We all know it is nearly impossible to lock down a date or is that just me?) You’re getting ready for your first date and want to make a great first impression. Are you looking for some ground rules to navigate through the mess of ‘casual’ dating to lock that person down and move on to a relationship level?

I got you! Here are a few do’s and don’t when it comes to dating.

Do’s

Open up and be ready to connect with someone.

We tend to go into situations quite closed off, ready to get hurt and be rejected. Be open and ready to make a connection. When you open yourself up, you are unblocking all that negative energy and only allowing positivity in.

Image from What’s Your Price

Date at your own pace

Sometimes when we haven’t dated for a long period or haven’t dated at all, it is hard not to just go with what the other person expects or wants from us. Be brave enough to set your own pace and to be comfortable with every new step you take with the person you are dating.

Image by Elite Daily

Trust your instincts

Believe me, you know what is good for you and if you start sensing bad vibes; take yourself out of that situation as soon as possible. Trust yourself and your inner voice to know what is best for you and what isn’t.

Flirt

Come on, you got yourself this far right? Do not be afraid to make your intentions known. You don’t want to end off the date and be friend-zoned, do you? I’m not saying jump on to their laps or down their throats but maintain that eye contact and find ways to casually touch them. Believe me this works, okay!

Order what you REALLY WANT

This is so important guys! If you feel like a salad, then by all means order it but if you have been craving a burger and fries all week order that too. Don’t be afraid to be your true self in front of the person you are dating.

Don’ts

Don’t pretend to be someone you’re not

This works in two ways. Don’t make fake accounts to stalk your ex-boyfriend or your best friend’s new man and especially do not use it to catfish people! Pretending to be someone else online is not cool and can negatively affect someone. The other way this works is pretending to be a ‘better’ or different version of yourself when you start dating. Remember; the person asked you out knowing that something about you fascinated them and they wanted to get to know YOU better.

Don’t talk about your ex

I mean do I have to say more? If they ask, keep it brief and simple. You are on a date with someone new, [insert ex’s name] who?

Meeting up at a club is not a date

Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with going to the club AFTER the date but don’t accept that as your date. How are you supposed to get to know someone better while Living on a Prayer blares into your ears or everyone pushes you back and forth on the dance floor?

Don’t overdo it with the booze

I know it is stressful going on a first date or meeting up with the person you fancy but getting completely boozed up is not a solution. Maybe take a neat SINGLE SHOT of something strong to calm the nerves… but that’s it. On your date, restrict yourself to a glass or two of anything. You don’t want your date to have to take you home early because you passed out.  It happens so no judgment here.

Don’t make everything so complicated

Try and keep things simple and easy. Every date that you go on, don’t try and over do it every single time. Remember you are trying to spend time with your date, so put them first. Even if you just go for a walk and grab some ice-cream, it’s about making the effort to spend some time with them. Don’t overthink everything. Stick to the basics.

And there you go: Read it, Live it, Love it!

You’re welcome.

I am a fourth year student, studying Film and Media Specializing in Screenwriting