This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

I am a self-proclaimed Disney Pixar movie addict. I prefer them to any other movie genre, except maybe the occasional psychological thriller. Disney Pixar movies hold a special place in the hearts of many as they hold fond childhood memories and conjur images of toddling in your pyjamas to watch The Incredibles or Finding Nemo over a bowl of cornflakes and a cup of hot chocolate. As I’ve gotten older, I have noticed increasingly the valuable life lessons tucked away inside these warm and nostalgic movies.

Here is a list of the top 5 Disney Pixar movies that promote and encourage reflection and growth:

Mulan

Mulan, although not technically a Disney Princess, set a whole new unprecedented standard for the Disney Princesses. She embarked on a perilous mission to save her father’s life, one that could have cost her own. But with self-determination, a fierce belief in herself and her abilities, and her badass breaking down of gender roles, she saved China from the Huns, and proved to audiences around the world that women are just as powerful, influential, and strong as men and should not just be considered their submissive counterparts.

Inside Out

I cry everytime I watch this movie. As Joy and Sadness work together to save Riley’s spiralling emotional meltdown, Joy learns that it is not possible to be happy all the time, and that in order to heal and stay balanced in life, you have to experience Sadness too. The pair go hand-in-hand to create the human experience that is both exciting and heartbreaking.

Frozen

Many people have found that Frozen can be translated to being unafraid of expressing your “deviance” from heteronormativity despite the possibility of being seen as a threat to social norms. The song ‘Let It Go’ sung by Idina Menzel has been used by LGBTQI+ movements to empower people to embrace their sexuality and express their true selves.

Lilo and Stitch

This poignant movie explores the true meaning of family, or ohana- Family is not always what you’re born into and who you live with, but the people you surround yourself with who fill your life with adventure, love, passion, and excitement. Lilo finds this in her extra-terrestrial friends together with her older sister Nani proving that family is the most important thing of all.

Brave

This movie is Katniss Everdeen/Arya Stark turned into a Scottish princess. Merida defies what it means to be a dainty and ladylike princess by pursuing her gift for archery and love of adventure. Her insatiable lust for life is infectious.

If you have yet to watch any of these movies, add them to your Must See list for 2019. Allow yourself time during this consolidation period to snuggle up under your favourite blanket with a cup of hot chocolate and lose yourself in these brilliant movies.

Sarah-Kate is a student at the University of Cape Town currently completing her Honours degree in Psychology. She is also the Co-Senior Editor of Her Campus UCT 2020 and actress in short film Dear Romilly. Her interests include baking, writing, yoga, empowering women, and educating the world on mental illnesses through her blog (sarahkatesays.blogspot.com).