This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

With #DayZero possibly approaching, we should be all doing our bit to save water – including showering and washing our hair less. However, thankfully, that doesn’t necessarily mean we need to look greasy.

Here are six waterless hacks to save you from a bad hair day:

1. Dry Shampoo

Ever since the drought started, I dropped my hairwashing from every second day to about once a week (with great difficulty I might add). Needless to say, Dry Shampoo is officially my best friend. Just spray your roots and you are good to go.

2. Cornflour/Cornstarch/Baby powder

If you aren’t keen on dry shampoo, use some baby powder instead. With both Dry Shampoo and Baby powder, there’s always a risk of getting white roots – to avoid this, you can throw in a teaspoon of cocoa powder with the baby powder so your roots come out more brown instead. Of course, this tip only works for those with brown hair but otherwise, just dust the powder away, if you have a grey patch, works just as well!

3. Headbands/turbans/berets

As if you needed another excuse to accessorise?

4. Half updo

The biggest problem with greasy hair is probably greasy roots; so the best solution is to just hide them. Grab a hair tie/hair grip or a bunch of bobby pins and pin back the front section of your hair.

5. Messy Ponytail

What better way to get your hair out of your face on a hot summer’s day, than in a cute updo? Curls do love dirty hair so the messier the ponytail, the better!

1. Braids

Daenerys Targaryen didn’t have time to wash her hair when trying to claim her throne back; so do what she does and rock a braid or two. It will keep your hair out of your face and helps you look #flawless.

Now go forth and have happy hairdays!