Wellness

Counting Your Blessings and Checking Your Privilege in Lockdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

As I am writing this piece, I am lying comfortably on my bed. It is raining outside and my mom is in the kitchen making pancakes. Netflix is playing in the background, and I am playing an online game with friends on my phone. Next to my bed is my power bank, just in case my electronics go flat. I’m wearing knitted socks to keep my feet warm and I have a steaming cup of hot chocolate on my nightstand. Do you know what else I have? Privilege.

I have my own bed to sleep in, two laptops I could use and fast, reliable access to the internet. We have a garden that I can walk in with my very able body, free of disabilities. I have access to tertiary education and I have a job that pays me more than the minimum wage. The first time I’d ever made use of public transport was the first time I took a Jammie to class (and that hardly counts as public transport). I have always had food security and I’ve never went to bed hungry. I have always had access to entertainment, libraries, running water and electricity. I am in my final year of studying Law at a prestigious university, and this is the first year in my life that there was ever a need for me to work. Our house is spacious and equipped with everything I could need. I’m surrounded by my family and they are all safe with a fully-efficient medical aid to cover the financial risks of possible sickness. We have access to hospitals and live in a safe environment with a low crime rate. I do not live with an abusive person. These are all privileges that should never be taken for granted.

While we are in lockdown and complaining about having to stay home, it is a good time to take a moment to reflect and recognise the privilege around you. I challenge you to recognise your own privilege. Tip: If you do not have to worry/stress about something – it is a privilege. Do you not worry about electricity? That is because having it is a privilege for you. Do you not have to worry about shelter? Privilege. See where I am going with this? Remember that this is not an attack on privileged people and becoming aware of one’s privilege should not be seen as a burden or source of guilt. Instead, it is an opportunity for us to learn to acknowledge and be responsible with what we have so that we may work towards a more just and inclusive world.