Can Womxn Become Gatekeepers of Patriarchy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

How can womxn perpetuate patriarchy? It may be confusing as patriarchy is the system that privileges men in public and private spaces while oppressing and controling the movement of womxn. We often don’t acknowledge the role womxn play in upholding the system of patriarchy. But in modern spaces today, we can clearly see this played out on social media platforms.

A great example that is trending at the moment is the Jordyn Woods scandal (notice how her name stands alone). For those that are not familiar, Jordyn Woods is Kylie Jenner’s best friend who reportedly hooked up with professional basketball player Tristan Thompson, who is the baby daddy to Kylie’s sister Khloe Kardashian.

Image from TooFab

News broke out of the alleged “hook up” that took place between Jordyn and Tristan, and the media has reported negatively against Jordyn without knowing the full details of the scandal. Jordyn has been labelled a slut and a home-wrecker, receiving death threats on social media by her femxle followers. Tristan, on the other hand, was left untouched by the media while all the blame was put on Jordyn for a kiss she reportedly did not initiate.

It was interesting to see how both womxn and the media placed blame solely on Jordyn when we all know two parties were equally involved. Tristan has, in the process, become untouchable having reaped no repercussions from his infidelity.

Khloe Kardashian also contributed as a gatekeeper of patriarchy when she tweeted that Jordyn was the reason her family broke up. Khloe is a big name in the entertainment industry with a huge following, and her tweet has the power to garner a lot of hate towards Jordyn Woods. She thus contributed to the damaging and social crucifixion of Jordyn by altering her career and placing no blame whatsoever on Tristan, who is known to have cheated on Khloe before.

Another way womxn are perpetuating patriarchy is through the ‘side chick culture’ that has been sweeping through the internet. In this, womxn intentionally enter a relationship with a man who is already in a relationship. This is also known as ‘clout chasing’ as this often happens with celebrities. This act, and the feeling of pride that womxn have in this context, actively places men in a position of power, where competing for his attention weighs more than that of ‘sisterhood’. This narrative is problematic and places men is the position of dominance over the femxle body.

Recently, Rachel Kolisi caused a stir on social media when she called out a womxn who allegedly sent her husband, rugby player Siya Kolisi, a sexy picture of herself on Instagram. The women clapped back at Rachel telling her that Siya slid into her DM’s and that it was not her fault. Once again, we see the pattern of womxn attacking each other online and reinforcing male dominance.

Image from Jacaranda FM

Patriarchy has ensured that womxn know their place below men in society, once again reinforcing them as untouchable. Who else, then, do womxn have the power to bully and blame for their problems and insecurities other than their fellow womxn?

Although it is argued that men are the main culprits for the imprisonment of femxle bodies, it can be seen on many social media platforms not to be the case. Womxn can perpetuate the system, and have been doing it.  Unless that culture stops and womxn stop unconsciously elevating men through tearing down other womxn to feel a sense of power, we will continue to produce a society in which male domination necessitates the subordination of womxn.

My name is Jade Petersen and im an aspiring writer. Im currently studying media at the university of Cape Town. I enjoy writing short stories in my free time.